• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$3500 M1008s??

bushhawg73

I would not take 5000.00 cash for mine right now and she is sitting on blocks, front end bearing issue. I love my M1008 and have no plans of letting her go. Having extra parts on hand such as two 14 bolts and one spare dana 60 don't hurt either. My dad also has one so it is somthing we do together.

WARWAG

We've got a dealer up here that has 1008's and 1009's. I stopped by there one day and asked about them, and he said "We're asking between 4 and 6,000 depending on the truck." I turned around shaking my head and left. Then again he also had an 83 GMC truck he wanted 13k for, and sold it to some guy I saw driving it around.:???:

LOL.... 13K? That proves it! Theres an A$$ for every seat!:cookoo:

Miah

Personally it boggles my mind. Prices for 80s barebones commercial chevy diesels are the same as used 90s Dodge w/ cummins around here.

MAYBE you'll get a vehicle w/ low miles & in pristine shape...or maybe you'll get a vehicle that's had the odometer replaced. There's no way you'll convince me that my M1009 has 13,xxx original miles.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw both of the M1008's and the CUCV II. The M1008 with the covered bed was very nice. The underhood area was clean and showed signs of routine maintenance. The tarp over the bed looked new. When I turned the key all the dash lights came on and the seatbelt warining alarm came on. It started on the first try with no puff of exhaust smoke.

The other one was in very good shape as well. It's battery may have been low so it barely
cranked. Forgot to look at the drive shafts though.

The CUCV II well I won't bring that one up again.:-D

Stonepicker1

I saw both of the M1008's and the CUCV II. The M1008 with the covered bed was very nice. The underhood area was clean and showed signs of routine maintenance. The tarp over the bed looked new. When I turned the key all the dash lights came on and the seatbelt warining alarm came on. It started on the first try with no puff of exhaust smoke.

The other one was in very good shape as well. It's battery may have been low so it barely
cranked. Forgot to look at the drive shafts though.

The CUCV II well I won't bring that one up again.:-D
Ok, so was the CUCV-II driveable or blown engine like the one I had?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some pics of one of them, sorry I took these in the winter. As you can see a lot of dents but very little rust. Once I got both of mine I sold all my newer vehicles, best thing I ever did.
Ice, what size tires are those?

goodguyzy

im looking at a m1009 thats in good shape from a private buyer for $1500, guess i should jump on it. Ive always thought the CUCV were lame....but now they have grown on me.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so was the CUCV-II driveable or blown engine like the one I had?

The truck had no battery or batteries in it. I looked like it may have been drivable... but it had rust where you don't normally see rust. Speaker grill in the door, the bottom four inches of the seat frames. Some of the bare metal under the hood had corrosion on them. The exhaust pipe was sealed with electrical tape, this may have been done to keep rodents out.

I was really interested in this truck until I looked it over. The GL pictures didn't show what was seen in person. Just goes to show that it's best to inspect!

Oldsouthernboy

I paid 5,500 for my M1028, but the person that had it ran a paint and body, New Paint, body all straight, no rust.The cab had been redone with a new Dash, new rubber matting on the floor, Even had the jack, jack handle, lug wrench behind the redone seat. The spare still has the blue mold strip on the tread. Has the antenna hole from the radios, but filled with plastic plugs. Threw in a set of troop seats. Runs like new, the front end shop said it was like new in the front end area. Love it soon a 6 inch spring lift with cross over steering.

BTC70

I just bought my 1028 for just under $2000. "Needs work" would be generous, but the body and frame have little rust and I was looking to get the basis of a project relatively cheap. I plan on having it basically rebuilt as new over the next 1-2 years. The big question will be whether or not I go for a repower and a new tranny. I don't know if I'll be able to avoid at least the tranny, since it's highway limitations are well known.

DIESELGREEN

Paid 2900 for mine, odo shows 75,xxx miles and looks just right for the truck's condition. No rust....from a local guy who bought it and 3 genny trucks. One of those gen trucks had 998 miles on the clock and 3 hours on the generator hourmeter! The thing looked brand new. I love this truck... Been hardly 2 months and has so far been one of the most fun projects I've gotten into.

allrevup

I bought one in excellent condition with only 2100 miles on it for $2500 a year ago. Try that now. The paint, the interior, all of looks as if it sat in a time machine in a cave in Norway. Oh yeah, it did!!! If that thing went to auction now, it'd kill me trying to get it. They're nice trucks and there are probably some nice one's to be had but I'm done fighting the crowd after this one.
Yours is the BEST original low mileage none restore CUCV I, have seen since 2001, When I started paying attention to CUCV specially for the money you paid. I am jealous, you should pass the good deed to me! I am glad that a G.I. have it.
I have seen photos of a few gems with guys in Europe; Italy, Belgian, Norway and France. In the last 2 years there are 7 rolling around a 20 miles radius from me, from just 2, 2 1/2 years ago.
In '01, I had a M1028A1 with less then 10K. easy miles woodland camo, all I had to get was a "D" ring and replace the Bronze/Burg. dash pad, paper tags on wire looms and decals every where, like new seat, tools, not even surface rust on the underside, but I wanted to modify for more OFF-ROAD capability and I could not do it to that one, thinking they were common with 70,000 or so made. I sold it (for a small profit) and bought my present one in '04. As you guys said prices are high for mostly beat ones now, straight are very rare and fetching high $$$$$. But the only trucks we can buy from a dealer that on paper come close to the specs and capability's are $40K.- $50K. Dodge, Power Wagon and the Ford, Raptor, a high speed open dessert/trail truck. Neither oil burners and both with lots of electrical controls nad questionable under spinings.

Last edited:

DrJekl

I snagged my 1031 with 12K original miles on her for $2500 in 2009. The kicker was they mistakenly coded it as scrap. All it needed as a driveshaft and glow plugs. No EUC on it too. After about six months I received the "request" for the EUC or we're coming to get it as they caught the error and recoded it during an audit. They still issued the SF97 for her as scrap though.

I saw a M1009 that was straight junk (broken rear axle, busted windows, looked like it was beaten with a ball bat, missing parts, etc) go for $1200 a month or so back. Amazing!

dstang97

I was telling everyone at the Sussex NJ show I would not take anything less than 10k for mine. I have a ton of time and money into it and thats what it would take to get it. Someone actually took it for a test drive so we will see.

allrevup

Just a few days ago a M1008 or 1028 , Went true ebay, with The Gentleman said he had about $40K. and may very well have. It look right! Very professional mechanical detail work. The correct CUCV Bank's turbo with the right gages, as if just came out of a box, marine IP and injector, Bully Dog propane, an NV 4500 with high dollar double clutch, NP205 transfer case, a Gear Vendor and all the necessary subsequent mod's, lift and tire/wheel.
It may have a need it a fresh paint job for 90+ points. "Not ONE bid" it started at $8K. I was more then tented, I contacted him for more info and photos but at the end. I did not bid it was too low(?), the guy was selling to go to paramedic school or something for heavens sake, and I am thinking of a ___ ?, toy and a shelter this time with a Garage !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks