• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

353 detroit diesel

Zeek

I have a 353 Detroit Diesel (in my M37) I thought it had a glow plug but on the M37 page a gentlemen told me its not a glow plug. He was correct it is on the 2 cylnder and said it needs its own coil.
How do I hook this thing up??? What for coil do I get?? All help in hookiing it up would be greatly appriciated. I don't know where to begin.
Thanks Zeek

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has no glow plug. The thing with DD is you need the fuel priming pump and get the rail full of fuel and spin them. What problems are you haveing? trouble starting. Mine has a check valve that if it stick open all the fuel will drain back to tank and they should not try to be started till the fuel rail is full. With out full rail they sound like crap and been told it's not good for them.

Last edited:

Gamagoat1

Goat has a seperate system. It has it's own coil, air compressor and spark plug. Fuel pressure is derived from the engines main fuel pump as the engine is turned by the starter. All of this is controled by an electric solenoid controling the flow of fuel through a little atomizer.

Last edited:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very similar to the cold start unit on the multi-Deuce pre heats, and they actually work !!!
Really hung me up years ago when I built my first Goat!~LOL

popacom / BILL in KY.:jumpin:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way any other Goat heads here know of any "COMPLETE" T/O powerpacks available anywhere
at a decent price? I have another Goat on the build list that is sans Power pack. any help greatly appreciated. popacom / BILL iN KY.[thumbzup]

spicergear

A buddy of mine has the goat's aluminum 3-53 in some home built loader he's been working on here and there. Think it's been 5yrs in building and not done yet...cash may talk if you really want a true goat engine.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spicergear, My friend that I am building the Goat for told me to get some prices and availability
so if you don't mind asking your friend it would be a great help. Thanks for your time and consideration !!!
popacom / BILL in Ky.

Idaho Motorpool are listing rebuilt multifuels, dunno if any are 3-53's.

If not All Diesel Spares on the Gold Coast are listing a couple at the moment..... rather than import 'em back, drop a line and see if they'll word you up on their source.

Spock

GOLD COAST - QLD
Phone: (07) 5597 0077
Fax: (07) 5597 0011
email: diesels@alldiesels.com
Untitled Document

BillIdaho

Alex's (Idaho Motor Pool) are NOT Goat engines.

However, Dana, at Army Surplus Warehouse in Idaho Falls had a couple of crated Goat engines awhile ago. Call and ask for Dana.

Sig229

Hello fellas,
I have a question that will sound stupid but its better to ask than guess. I have a goat and started to work on it after my E.T.S. I wanted to know if the goat needs a mix for the fuel or is the diesel alone lube enough for the engine. I read its a two cycle is that the same as two stroke like a dirt bike. Be gentle on me I'm learning.:?:

spicergear

Ummm...not quite. Lets start with the cylinder firing and pushing the piston down. How it works is it NEEDS the blower to pressurize the intake side of the engine. When the piston travels downward on the power stroke (they have no intake valves, just exhaust) after it gets so far down the cylinder, it exposes slots that lead directly to the pressurized intake air from the blower. The exhaust valves also begin to open. As that 'clean' charge of air bursts into the engine it also blows the exhaust of of the cylinder. As the piston starts moving back up the cylinder, it come up past these ports and the exhaust valves also close but in the meantime it still have a good load of clean air being compressed. As the piston nears the top of the stroke the injector squeezes an atomized spay of diesel which ignites when the pressure/heat flash it. It's known as a scavenging system.

That's the two strokes of the classic Detroits and why they sound like they're screaming rpm...it's actually just twice as much noise as we're used to. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Sig229

Just when I'm getting the principle and good at working on Diesel engine. I find out I have to learn a new version. It's kinda like learning about the rotary engine just not as wacky. Thanks for the compressed 101. In a nut shell, but to the point.:drool:

M880

I was wondering if anyone here would know where to find a good priced 353t or 453t (sorry im new and dont know how to post a new thread)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks