• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

35in Tires on M1008

LT67

I'm sure this has been covered many times here...... I'm wanting to run 35's on my M1008. Since the truck already sits higher than my K10 and K20 from the factory, can I get away with a 1in add a leaf(easy inch) and a lil minor fender trimming with a 16x8 wheel 4in offset and still have enough clearance for off road?

Barrman

Best answer is a maybe. Mainly due to tolerance variations when the truck was built and how the parts have worn over the years.

You will find people that put 35's on a stock truck and it works. Others can trim a little off the cab side of the fenders and all is well. I had to add an ORD zero rate and trim the front and back of both fenders to clear.

Then I went from 35x12.50 tires on 16.5 rims to 315/75r17 tires which are the same size on H2 rims. Same back spacing on both sets of rims. I would not have needed to cut the bumper end of the fenders if I had set things up beginning with the H2 rims.

Didn't answer your question fully because there are just too many variables to be sure. I will add that getting the tires and wheels you want to run before you do anything in my opinion is a must.

LT67

Best answer is a maybe. Mainly due to tolerance variations when the truck was built and how the parts have worn over the years.

You will find people that put 35's on a stock truck and it works. Others can trim a little off the cab side of the fenders and all is well. I had to add an ORD zero rate and trim the front and back of both fenders to clear.

Then I went from 35x12.50 tires on 16.5 rims to 315/75r17 tires which are the same size on H2 rims. Same back spacing on both sets of rims. I would not have needed to cut the bumper end of the fenders if I had set things up beginning with the H2 rims.

Didn't answer your question fully because there are just too many variables to be sure. I will add that getting the tires and wheels you want to run before you do anything in my opinion is a must.
Cool.... thx. Right now the truck has Nitto Terra Grappler 285 75 16's mounted on the factory 16x6.5 wheels. There's plenty of room to spare with no chance of rubbing the fenders.

Ilikemtb999

I've got an 09 on 1 ton axles and 35's with a 2" lift. I'm running 16x8 with zero offset (4.5" backspacing) and had to clearance the back corner at the cab because when stuffed and turned it would contact. I probably could of left the bumper side.

This is with a blown out 37" tire but you can see what I cut. IMG_1071.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... can I get away with a 1in add a leaf(easy inch) and a lil minor fender trimming with a 16x8 wheel 4in offset and still have enough clearance for off road?
Why the Add-A-Leaf? Either the tire fits when you hit the bump stops, or it doesn't.
Tin snips and/or a grinder are our friends. And you will probably get by with practically invisible cutting.

glaser06

My stock 1028A1 doesn't clear 315/75/16 ATs. That's 34.6" diameter.

These trucks sit the same height at stock K30s up front. Top of axle to bottom of bumpstop bracket is ~9" stock. 35" tires won't clear without cutting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Uncut, scrubs in any turn. In reverse it scrubs so hard I'm afraid it'll cause serious body damage. 32-33" is about the max tire diameter that will fit in a squarebody's fenders. This is per the kind folks at ORD.

Last edited:

LT67

This is how it sits with 33's and sagging springs.... plenty of room. It's at the spring shop getting new springs front and rear which should raise it about 2in.

20170703_185821.jpg

LT67

Got the M1008 back from the spring shop and put the 35's on it. Now I have to climb in it.. lol. No rubbing anywhere on pavement, but I'll have to do a lil fender trimming just to be on the safe side for off road use.

Not a great pic, it was dark when I got done changing the wheels.

20170804_215148.jpg20170804_215148.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the M1008 back from the spring shop and put the 35's on it. Now I have to climb in it.. lol. No rubbing anywhere on pavement, but I'll have to do a lil fender trimming just to be on the safe side for off road use.
Too late for the advice now, but you could've saved some time by doing the fender trimming before installing the new springs. Using the 35s as a "cutting guide", of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks