• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

35's and No lift

Bobert

So I was wondering about bigger tires for my m1009, but I didn't want to spend $700 on new ones.

I found these wheels on craigslist for $100 and the guy said the tires were junk. Now I figured that meant the 35'' tires were bald and they would be closer to 33.5'' tall, whish is close to the size I want.

Instead, they had the grand canyon of dry rot. Still hold air (for a while).

In case anyone else was wondering how a stock m1009 would like the turdy-fives, here is the result of my experiment.

(please pay no attention to the pimp wheels, I have plans to paint them a nice green if I keep them)

Also, I am going to repaint the whole thing, (I was in a hurry and didnt have the full camo pattern) (walmart paint, $60)

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 35

Recovry4x4 said:
My favorite part is the Gallagher Mallet wheel chock. Thats just cool!
rofl I think there was a watermelon chock on the other side! All you need to do is trim the fenders a bit. But if you do andthing off road, you'll need to give the truck a bit of a lift. 35s still will kiss the fenders in rough terrain. There is a salvage yard that is full of 1009s out here, that all have suspension lifts and rollbars installed. Sadly, with the price of scrap...The guy is just cutting them up. :cry:

Bobert

RE: Re: RE: 35

I wish there was a yard like that over here. surely there would be a less blasphemous way to get scrap metal. :twisted:

I thought about what kind of trimming I needed to do, I would rather just lift it if I really wanted 35's. hmmmm.

I can turn the steering wheel upside down and maybe 1/4 turn more before they rub. I had to do about a 7 point turn to get out the driveway.

What really suprised me was the power. I still had enough to keep up with traffic off the line. Plus, on the highway, My rpms were down. I could barely hear it over the tires though.

It was no pooch, but definately not a big turd like I figured.

The difference is not bad but it is nice to have the 31s back along with the tight turning radius.

The local camp wat throwing those mallets out, so we have a dozen of them and I keep one in back just in case I ned to smash something. There are many uses.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, the turning radius suffers more than the amount of cutting necessary.

I know of a 70's Blazer K5 on 35's with stock sagged out springs and trashed bushings...no cutting either. Just LOTS of rust.

CCATLETT1984

its your truck, but imho 44's are too big a tire for these trucks and to still be able to use the truck as a truck. To fit those tires you'd need at least 10" of lift, and deep backspacing on the rims, with that much height crossover steering is a must. you will need to cut the inner C's from the from axle tube and rotate the pinion up for clearance. you'll need new driveshafts front and rear. Just want to let you know what your getting into. 6" lift and 38" tires make for a usable truck.

rizzo

CCATLETT1984 said:
its your truck, but imho 44's are too big a tire for these trucks and to still be able to use the truck as a truck. To fit those tires you'd need at least 10" of lift, and deep backspacing on the rims, with that much height crossover steering is a must. you will need to cut the inner C's from the from axle tube and rotate the pinion up for clearance. you'll need new driveshafts front and rear. Just want to let you know what your getting into. 6" lift and 38" tires make for a usable truck.

x2

Bozor1000

CCATLETT1984 said:
The truck is not going to be used on a daily basis. This is my project truck that I will be taking down to Glamis and to the Azusa Canyon out here. This truck is going to be used as a Four Wheel Drive. My 84 K20 had a 10 inch lift and the pinion angle adjusted and drive shafts and all the bells and whistles. That one was on 40's. So I know what I am getting myself in to. Crossover steering from ORD and and steering brace. I'll keep you posted.

cleb

I put BFG 32x11.5x15 MT's on my M1009. Looked good, and made it a lot better offroad. The only rubbing I noticed is when I had some extreme flex in the back on a hill, the tire would rub on the inner fender on the rear. Only happened once. IMHO, its a good size, looks stock, and no modification required.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks