• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

366 gas conversion w 5speed need 24v to 12 volt advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuff-truck-guy

I have never dealt with 24volt electrical before. I am planning a engine swap "366 gas school buss engine" and I dont understand exactly what converting 24v down to 12 v electrical involves. Hopefully I can just change the voltage regulator n be ok but I'm shure its not going to be that simple. Any information will be appreciated greatly! Oh and has anyone ever put a 366 in a 1009?

eric_banks32

Pull one battery, one set of batt cables and rewire the starter harness for 12v and your almost done. You can just pull out the glow plug harness and hardware and slave cable stuff.

P.S. 366 is a small c.i. big block chevy put in dumptrucks etc.

tuff-truck-guy

the 366 and tranny are coming out of a 1991 model buss and it has been a propane multi fule engine soley run on propane ergo no fuel pump till i installed one on it a few years back its been setting for about 4 years, but yes the tall deck 366 has been around a long time.

tuff-truck-guy

I'm planning on using a lot of the school buss parts like the steering box, pitman arm, n mabe the radiator but im not shure if it will fit. the build plans are 6 or 8 inch suspension lift 1 or 2 inch body lift 1008 axels and a set of 11.00 r 16's, another problem im facing is the transfer case and the tailshaft on the tranny, I dont know where to even start looking for a tailshaft conversion kit, or if the t case is even strong enough to start with. I was thinking about a divorced t case but driveline angles will be a problem im affraid.

tuff-truck-guy

advanced adapters is where i was planning on checking first, right now im just in the planning/r-d phase but in theory i should be able to get this pulled off. A couple of years ago I put a 427 buss engine in a civy suburban 3/4 ton and it worked great but I used a divorced t case, and it was already a 12 v system just had 2 put a 3 inch body lift under it .

acmunro

How does a 366 BB compare to a 350 SB in the fuel economy area. Also how much more torque does the 366 have ? I have a ex Air Force Crew Cab that has an unknown condition 350 SB. Maybe the 366 would be a good conversion for it. Thanks for any info.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are my measly observations. The 366 will bolt right in. You can litterally tie off the wiring to the second alternator and pretty much be where you need to be. CHeck the Roscommon site for other considerations. I'm assuming that the 366 has some type of Allison behind it, perhaps an AT545. I would adviise against using it in your conversion, instead, spend the money freshening up your 400 Turbo. My reason is this, you are already dealing with a very short truck at 106"WB. Addinig 8" of lift will complicate the install even more. You just don't have enough length to pull this off. Even with the stock transfer or a 205 you might be needing some custon double CV shafts from the likings of Tom Woods or Denny's driveshaft service. Would be no problem with a burb but the 1009 shaft is barely 2' long as it is.

Barrman

Chevy made 2 basic Tall Deck Big Block gasoline V8 engines. The 366 which had a little bore and a huge long stroke. The 427 Tall deck was the other version. Think big block with an extra 1/2" added to the top of the cylinders. Both engines are torque monsters used in school buses, grain trucks and dump trucks for about 30 years.

As posted above, your 366 will bolt right in where the 6.2 was. Get rid of that stupid leak prone Holley and you will probably get mid teens for your mileage in the 1009. I have a 427 Tall Deck in a 1996 C30 cab and chassis truck with a 4L80 behind it. The previous owner blew up the 6.5 and bolted in the 427 in a few hours of exhaust fab mostly. Stock 6.5 motor mounts. Lots of grunt but the 4:56 gears give me about 8 mpg when I actually take it on the road. Most of the time it spends idling around my place hauling brush and stuff. It sucks gas down really fast that way.

tuff-truck-guy

im not going automatic im using the 5 speed tranny out of the buss if at all possible. I know the driveline angles are going to be a problem but its going to take considerable lift to clear the 11.00 r 16's im planning on using i may try to find a set of civy 3/4 ton axels mabe do a high pinion conversion or something im not shure yet. also i am wondering what ratio the m1008 axels have? the school buss was getting about 9-11 mpg on gasoline and im not shure on propane, so im just guessing but id say i could consevably get 14- 16 mpg in a 1009 with appropriate gears n such.

vtwinpilot

I really want to know what you get for MPG with that set up........I alway's wondered what one of those little big block's could do with a 5 speed and the right gearing in a car or small truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks