• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3700 SP Overdrive?

Vehicle is a 2007 M1083 with CAT C7 and Allison 3700 SP. I already have 307 gears installed but would like to reduce RPMs even more on the highway. Is it possible to add an overdrive to the transmission?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Yep, looking at 1400's. From what I've researched that's the largest size possible without lifting the truck or cutting wheel wells to avoid tire rub or limitations.

coachgeo

Presented this question to an Allison Guru who ownes an Allison rebuild and parts supply company with experience in these transmissions. Answer is basically no.

sure one could custom make a gear...... but still would be no go cause the changes would set off a firestorm in the software and put you into limp mode. Now a whole rewrite of software would be required...... and that is all proprietary software and would light of legality firestorm

Presented this question to an Allison Guru who ownes an Allison rebuild and parts supply company with experience in these transmissions. Answer is basically no.

sure one could custom make a gear...... but still would be no go cause the changes would set off a firestorm in the software and put you into limp mode. Now a whole rewrite of software would be required...... and that is all proprietary software and would light of legality firestorm
Thanks! That's what I needed to know.

The top 2 gears in the Alison core are already overdriven, but the fixed gear reduction in the transfer case cancels that out... you really want to do this in the axle/wheel area anyway to lower driveshaft RPM...
Thanks for the reply. I have the high speed 307's in the axles. Looking at 1400s for tires. Any other suggestions to get those RPM's down?

Reworked LMTV

Honestly, these truck don't handle that well at higher speeds. Roll overs are known to be deadly with these vehicles. Saw one article recently. I know it is not what you want to hear, but driving slower isn't always a bad thing : )

Honestly, these truck don't handle that well at higher speeds. Roll overs are known to be deadly with these vehicles. Saw one article recently. I know it is not what you want to hear, but driving slower isn't always a bad thing : )
Totally agree, but high speeds isn't my motivation. It's low RPMs to reduce wear and tear on the engine at reasonable speed. I don't plan to exceed 65mph ever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks