• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

383 in M1008...No Power!

Efituned

A little history about the truck. I bought it a year ago with 18k miles in great running condition. I got tired of driving 45mph in the truck and needed an engine that could handle more revs with out changing rear end gears.

I got the engine from a friend that used it in a mud truck powered by propane. There is nothing special about the engine other than a Comp Cam 270h with roller rockers. I installed a Edelbrock 1406.

The engine cranks and idles perfect, but has no power under load. For instance if you try to power brake the truck with the pedal to the floor I will not spin the tires.

I did a cranking compression test and got 165psi on all cylinders. I replaced the distributor and I have tried about every different ignition timing position. I have another friend with a cucv and a worn out 350 that will smoke the tires and has great power.

What could be the problem?

Keith_J

Mixture is probably too lean. If it isn't blowing black smoke during these low power periods, it is probably lean.

Up to you to find the proper jet size.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sounds like 45/55 is a LOT faster going down the road travel speed then 0

Efituned

Mixture is probably too lean. If it isn't blowing black smoke during these low power periods, it is probably lean.

Up to you to find the proper jet size.
I got a little black smoke under a load.
Sounds like 45/55 is a LOT faster going down the road travel speed then 0
It goes down the road just fine, have pulled anything with it yet. Transmission shifts points are normal from 1-2, then goes into 3 really soon.
Now this sounds stupid but........ You did drain the diesel fuel right.........
I used a electric pump and got most if not all of the diesel out.
Did you change the torque convertor?
probably gonna need at least a 2000 rpm
As far as I know the torque converter is stock. According to the specs on the cam, it will work good with a stock converter.

So far, asking friends around town, i have got that I need a higher stall converter around 1800-2200rpm or there is something wrong with the carb. I am going to check fuel pressure tomorrow and take to a guy that is a pro with carbs and see what happens.

Last edited:

jw4x4

........propane is not supplied through a carb.......
Uhhh.....Propane is most certainly supplied thru a carb. Rock crawler rigs FREQUENTLY do it. It allows the engine to remain running at any angle. Just got to slightly modify the existing carb. Several companies manufacture and sell kits. I know a guy that owns a propane company and just about everything he owns is converted to propane.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhhh.....Propane is most certainly supplied thru a carb. Rock crawler rigs FREQUENTLY do it. It allows the engine to remain running at any angle. Just got to slightly modify the existing carb. Several companies manufacture and sell kits. I know a guy that owns a propane company and just about everything he owns is converted to propane.
On my gas/propane generator the propane feeds into the intake manifold under the carb , it has a seperate regulator to meter the propane .

Efituned

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant stock converter for a 350. It's defiantly not the 6.2 converter.

I don't see how it could be the converter when a stock 350 has more power than my 383. I could understand if it had a crazy cam that needed a higher stall for its power band. According to comp cams I can use a stock gas converter for a 350. I would think that the 383 has about the same power as a stock 383 from low rpm or really any rpm.

Cucvnut

how does a stock 350 make more power than a stroker motor that if built right makes 400 hp easy...my stock 350 made 210 hp...

tm america

Did you check the firing order?Bad mix of gas-diesel fuel..?Weak spark or bad cap and rotor?Issues felt under heavy load are ussually spark related... but if you can't figure it out just swap in a hemi and you will be burning the tires up

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 383's gonna have more torque than a 350 because of the longer stroke.
If your rocker arm ratio is bigger than 1.5 that could put it past the limits of a stock TC
Did you put a new or used carb on? If used / not freshly rebuilt, then that is probably the issue.
Oh and if your rear brakes are good you won't spin the tires by "Power Braking"

Efituned

The carb is used, fairly new, but in unknown condition. I know all ignition is good. I will know the condition of the carb tomorrow.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks