• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

38x14.5x16

I have searched and I just want to make sure before I purchase the tires.....

I know that many say a skinny 38 will fit with stock suspension and fender trimming but I have no idea what a skinny 38 is.

is a 14.5 a skinny 38 and will this work with trimming?

what would be the best backspacing for this tire?

I plan on a 4 inch lift and would like to know if it would be better to do 4 springs rather then the shackle in the rear due to the stiff springs. I searched and didn't find this one.
I plan on trail riding in colorado and taking the beast to moab.
Any thoughts/input are much appreciated.
thanks in advance

allrevup

Assuming you are talking about a CUCV, I'am a flotation school of thought advocate, when it comes to OFF-ROAD tires, the tire should not be much over 4" wider then the rim, with the stock driver side drag link you should use 3"-4" of B.S. but you can clear 5"-5 1/2" if you do cross over steering, drag link clearance is not much of an issue but 14.5" wide tires will provabli rub somewhere even with a 6" lift specially if it flexes well

AJMBLAZER

What he said. That's a wide tire and even with 4" of lift it will require fender cutting to properly clear. Most likely a LOT of cutting.

scottc

I believe you would have to go to a 6" suspension lift for that tire to work. Fender cutting alone will probably not work. I have got 32-12.50's on mine and had to put a 4" lift on it. Tire are plenty big enough. I think power may be a problem with a bigger tire. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

hobie237

I'm running 35x12.50s with only minor trimming. That said, if they were narrower, I'd be a bit better off. 14.5 is going to be really freakin' wide, and is going to create more problems.

Scottc, I can't imagine why you needed a 4" lift for 32s, since the stock tires are about 32". I mean, I guess you had some rub, but I'd think at most you'd need a wee bit of front lift if you didn't want to cut the fenders.

allrevup

Thank you scottc, Just the point I was tryng to make. With out sayng 4" is not enought lift for 38*x14.5" tires with out a LOT of cutting, not to mention it will end up with a lackluster wrong final gear ratio for truck with a power to weight ratio (40+lbs. to 1H.P.) = not a very good for a 4X4, off-road vehicle then again it will look Tuff on parades or behind moutain hikers...

AJMBLAZER

Pretty much anything below 12.5" wide is considered narrow in a 38" tall tire. Guys talk of my 11-11.5" wide 11.00R16's as pizza cutters.:-D

4" of lift, some front axle moving, and a helping of cutting has been used to make 44's fit so these are certainly doable. Just depends how much work and cutting he wants to do.

38's + 4.56's + CUCV = drives just fine. Power is there in heaps. Only runs out at the high speeds you couldn't do before anyways.

hobie237

And the bigger tires add some meaningful amount of ground clearance. Sorry to say, but with the stock 32s, the ground clearance SUCKS.

allrevup

will on this subject now bruching up about gears, is 5:13:1 the lowest ratio avalible for the GM 14 bolts? The reazon I ask is becouse I don't know if it was typo erors but I have read a couple of times, some where else(?) of lower gears avalible for the 14bolts but have not found any listings...

scottc

Hobie237, I really didn't want to cut the fenders. The height of the 32's wasn't the issue it was the width. 1" of lift probably would have done it, I went 4"just because I figured if I was going to lift the truck 1" why not 4". Actually gave the truck a good look, and I did not have to play with the steering.

AJMBLAZER

5.13's used to be as low as they went. Might be lower available now. You'd need REALLY big tires or double over drive for them though.:wink:

100dollarman

Is this the tire you are referring to?

Lots of my customers have put this tire on their trucks.

Its a Michelin XML 325/85-r16

On a 10" wide wheel they measure 37-37.5" (depending on how much tread) tall, and 13" overall wide. Most 38s do not measure 38". And 14.50 wide usually ends up about 13.5".

I have them on my Jeep, and plan to put a set on my M1028 when I get to it.

Here are a couple of pics-

Attachments

Last edited:
The tires were actually the nitto mud grappler. They were the cheapest 38's I could find.
This is my first full size truck so I really just wanted to go big on the tires, I'm used to a land rover where a 33 is big. I'm going to do some more looking around on the web and see about some other tires. I really want a good trail truck that I can take out rock climbing when I want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks