• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

39/809 clutch suggestion

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is there a more heavy duty clutch available? I work my 817 pretty hard so its only a matter of time. I'm considering swapping to the direct drive 5th gear trans to help out with the big 3-4 hole too. With 16.00' s I should still be in the 50+ mph range.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
Over size tires are a power/clutch KILLER

You can put in a twin disk clutch, just hard to fine for the fit.

Ideally you could drop the crap trans and install a OLD 8/10 spd. spicier, it is a narrow trans with the pto on the side like what is in the truck has now, the newer ones are a flat trans and I believe the pto is on the bottom.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

71Deuce,
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but shifting a 5 ton that is empty is "easy". This thread is more about when the rig is being used at or near max. capacity. If you've never driven with a manual trans. then yes, there is a learning curve involved but the bigger curve is learning to judge these things "position in the universe" while moving. Mine, for example, has a turning RADIUS of nearly 50 feet. I have turned tractor-trailers (with pig trailers) around in less space than my M820.
I was VERY surprised when I learned that the transmission in my beast is synchronized (except for 1st and reverse). I learned to shift with the diagram in 74M35A2's post, three sticks, Strongarm steering, AND double clutching (until I learned how tuh not to). Compared to that, shifting one of these is no different than a Toyota Celica.
Roger that! It's just helpful to have this info nevertheless for if I find myself in that situation, or passing info on to others who find themselves in such a situation. It's just relatable since that's what my manual driving lessons happened in.

someoldmoose

Ideally you could drop the crap trans and install a OLD 8/10 spd. spicier, it is a narrow trans with the pto on the side like what is in the truck has now, the newer ones are a flat trans and I believe the pto is on the bottom.
I would love to find a "better" trans that would be more highway friendly. I would LOVE to update / upgrade to an automated 10 spd. but I don't think anybody has ever mated one to a dinosaur nhc, at least not anybody that is on the international look what I did internet channel. If I had infinitely deep pockets I'd just pay someone to figure it out but that isn't really how I'd wanna do it anyway. I don't have the PTO to deal with but I'm sure it would require many changes / fabrication of mounts and parts along with whatever sensors the tranny needs. Just another pipe dream.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would love to find a "better" trans that would be more highway friendly. I would LOVE to update / upgrade to an automated 10 spd. but I don't think anybody has ever mated one to a dinosaur nhc, at least not anybody that is on the international look what I did internet channel. If I had infinitely deep pockets I'd just pay someone to figure it out but that isn't really how I'd wanna do it anyway. I don't have the PTO to deal with but I'm sure it would require many changes / fabrication of mounts and parts along with whatever sensors the tranny needs. Just another pipe dream.
These older spicier trans can be found in OLD big truck junk yards, yards that keep EVERYTHING forever., it is going to be real hard stuffing a newer trans in because most will be to long, to wide, and the pto is on the bottom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks