• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85 on factory a2 wheels

happyfisherman

Ok so I have a brand new set of 395/85 tires for my m35a2, and i want to mount them on my stock rims. I have seen it done on other deuces, and just wondering if anyone has had any problems doing this. Also wondering if it would be best to flip the hubs or leave them alone. First time posting so if i am in the wrong section i apologize. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The King Machine

I ran them for about a year on stock rims. I found no ill effects other than a very large reduction in steering ability making right turns. The stock rim off set coupled with the wider tires causes the tire to contact the steering linkage while making right turns. Adjust the steering stops in both directions as it is possible for the tire to contact the shock mounts in some off road conditions as well. I did not flip the hubs I ran the rear tires just the same as you would running outer duels.
However there is a lot of MRAP rims floating around for sale. Go that route or HEMTT's like did for the long term.

Welcome to SS

I'll give you the search button speech before the old boys get a hold of you.
Use it to search these common topics, tons of pictures around.

Here is my thread for my truck complete with a few pictures. I've left a lot of the technical pictures out but I've done all the work myself including retrofitting the HEMTT rims to fit the deuce. As well as custom adapter plates.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?89517-An-American-Deuce-in-Canada/page10

good luck

happyfisherman

Thanks! Thats what i needed to hear. My stock tires are shot and i just want to make it safe to drive for now, i will definitely be looking into some HEMTT or MRAP rims in the future. That a nice looking deuce you have! Mine is a long way from looking that nice but she runs and drives great. How much would you say your right hand turns were limited? Like just trying to make a real sharp right turn or would it rub just making a normal right turn onto a street or parking lot or whatever? Also what size tube did you run with your factory wheels? Thanks again!!

snoplay

I've had them on mine for about 4yrs now no problems, tight fit on the rim, had to block up the center of the rim to get the ring on , I used 12.00 tubes and run about 17 psi in them

I have been running 14.00r20 on stock rims. They are a tad narrower then the 395 I believe. Make sure you eat your wheaties that morning. They are tough to mount especially if you don't know what your doing.

Now some will say your dumb and a moron for mounting them on stock rims..... I myself see nothing wrong with it. It's a poor man's bead lock and they weigh half the weight of the 150 lbs mrap or hemmit rims.