• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395/85r20's

turbovr6jetta

I got my 395s on today, so I figured I would share with the class. I will start off by saying that a "tire slide hammer was the absolute key to removing my old 9.00's. An excavator smashing the tire while I beat the bead with a pick and pieces of angle with a sledge and it would not budge it even a little. I did happen to start with the most stuborn tire. After the tires were removed (no pictures sorry) I sand blased the rims. I didnt worry about making them perfect I just wanted to clean them up and get fresh paint on them primarily the insides due to the rust issue that caused my difficult time removing the tires and hopefully making the install a little smoother. When the paint was dry I went to work, I used 10.00/12.60 tubes and 8 inch flaps. I filled the tubes just a little and stuffed them in the tire then flap....... Threaded the stem worked the wheel in yada yada. I used a cherry picker (engine hoist) to pull the wheel up out of the tire enough to put the lock ring on. I stuck the lock ring in non notched side first and just stood on it in the right spots to get it to pop in sometimes using a dead blow to finish her off. I used a excavator bucket to protect me/everything from a ring blowing off. I also used a locking tire chuck so I could get some distance while filling. Everything went together real smooth and really wasnt too bad of a job less picking up the wheel/tire. I mounted them just as stock less the inner tire one the rear axels. I kind of like the wider rear stance for now. I also just used the stock budd/thimble nuts to hold the wheel on. I most likely will order some lug nuts that fit the wheel stud just for a nicer look. Alk in all im glad I spent 24 hours in the last two days on this project. I cant wait to drive it... Oh and if no body ever hears from me again take this and publish it on what not to do!:-D

Attachments

harleyboy1

In place of a slide hammer, I,ve used a electric demolition hammer, the type you use for busting up concrete. You did a job to be proud of........

eagle4g63

I have the same tires on my truck....set up the same way and love them.....you will be happy.

I have to congratulate you on the job well done, after replacing the inner tube in just one of my tires I said NO WAY AGAIN......I went down the street to the tire shop and sat eating popcorn while they worked their butts off!!!! and they only charged my $30 each to do the labor.......much easier :grin:

turbovr6jetta

I dont have a picture of the actual one used. It was pretty unsightly. Had been "repaired" a few times.. But it looked very similar to this one.... They are about 5 feet long and about a 50 or 60 pounds..

Attachments

benand117

I do comerical tires for a living. We use the slap hammer all the time. But to be honest with you, the only reason we use it is becouse the company has a no metal on metal contact rule. On stubborn tires a duck bill hammer works much better. You do have to be confident in swinging a hammer though or you can really mess up a wheel. When you swing it you hit the wedge end of the hammer in between the tire bead and the wheel. I grab the duck bill every time the boss turns his back.

BIGDDV

turbovr6jetta,
do you worry about the effect of the offset wheel on the wheel bearing life?
when am-general made the A3 single wheel, they used a near 0 offset wheel.
we may need to replace our A-3 wheels due to leaks.

BIGDDV

do you worry about running the offset wheels and that damaging the wheel bearings?
how do the 16 inch wide tires set on the 8 inch wheels?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....................when am-general made the A3 single wheel, they used a near 0 offset wheel.
Really....??? Well, maybe... if you consider 4.3 inches to be "near zero offset"...? :???:
.... we may need to replace our A-3 wheels due to leaks.
Yes, please replace them; they are absolutely worthless and even unsafe if they leak.....!
Just let me know; I'll take them - for what they bring as scrap metal......... :razz:

G.

turbovr6jetta

I do comerical tires for a living. We use the slap hammer all the time. But to be honest with you, the only reason we use it is becouse the company has a no metal on metal contact rule. On stubborn tires a duck bill hammer works much better. You do have to be confident in swinging a hammer though or you can really mess up a wheel. When you swing it you hit the wedge end of the hammer in between the tire bead and the wheel. I grab the duck bill every time the boss turns his back.
Yea my tire guy has been a tire guy for like 16 years and the duck bill was the first thing he brought out...... However after about 35 swings that were clearly of a skilled person he threw it down and said a few curse words about it not even budging thats when the slide hammer came out. I can see how the duck bill would be faster and easier on a tire that werent as stuborn as these... Well at least one of them. And the slide hammer was metal on metal, we beat the chisel tip straight towards the rim until the definate clang of metal

those wheels sure look like they didn't need a sandblasting!

Are you looking at the after pics? They dont look too bad in a picture but the inside were filled with crud over top of rust and the out sides had been paint a few times, maybe with a brush.

do you worry about running the offset wheels and that damaging the wheel bearings?
how do the 16 inch wide tires set on the 8 inch wheels?
They are actualy 7.5 inches. They set fine on them. A little difficult to get on but the engine hoist fixes that problem

no i'll take them. i'm closer. i'll get there first.
Im pretty sure he offered them to me first! Back off my new rims.

turbovr6jetta

Oh, any if you running this setup found a good tire pressure? Im running like 45 in the rears and about 57 in the front. It seems to sway around quite a bit. I will adjust them a bit to get a more stable feeling but any input would be great

Titanium Soldier

I run 50 all around, the tires are rated at 80 i think? but im not sure what the rims are supposed to be safe at so i stick with 50 like the old ndt uses. I have been running mine for about 8 months and after a week or so you get used to the swaying, remember your squeezing a very wide tire onto a very narrow rim, its gonna happen!

turbovr6jetta

They are rated to 100. Im going to air up a bit see if it helps a little. I guess I should shop for some new rims. I dont like the rubbing either but they will do for now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks