• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395 retreads?

Pinz25086

I run the Michelin 395's on my deuce. I was talking with the Michelin rep at work and was asking about pricing on tires. He said that he was fairly sure that Bandag could recap my 395's with a tread patteren that would almost be the same as what came on it. Cost would be much cheaper than new (or used) rubber. Has anyone had these recapped or thought about doing it? I know that you could not do the front axle but the savings on the 4 rears might make it worth while for those of us who just use the truck as a toy. Any and all input is welcomed.

Wayne

mckeeranger

I run the Michelin 395's on my deuce. I was talking with the Michelin rep at work and was asking about pricing on tires. He said that he was fairly sure that Bandag could recap my 395's with a tread patteren that would almost be the same as what came on it. Cost would be much cheaper than new (or used) rubber. Has anyone had these recapped or thought about doing it? I know that you could not do the front axle but the savings on the 4 rears might make it worth while for those of us who just use the truck as a toy. Any and all input is welcomed.

Wayne
I can't help you on the 395s, but the 8 NDTs on the back of our deuce are retreads. They have about 2,000 miles on them, as far as we know.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, they work for OTR trucks, don't see why they wouldn't work on a deuce. Don't know how they'd hold up to off roading though.

dragonwagon

Recaps got a bad rep years ago when caps would come off . Today that is pretty rare to have happen . My experience , as long as the casing you are having capped is in good shape a cap should be fine . The company doing the work will take a good look at the casing before capping it .

I have 22.5 and 24.5 Bandag caps in use on a dump truck and a 30 ton tow truck , have had no issues with either .

I have never seen a cap ran at low pressure such as off roading , no idea if they hold up to that .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 395 XMLs are regroovable. Basically the carcass has enough meat to it that you can use a tire grooving tool to cut out "new" tread on them. But honestly, when you can get used XMLs cheap, why bother? I can likely hook you up with some used 395s cheaper than you can get recaps done. (If they'll recap them)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks