• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's and hubs on my Deuce ! What I think about the upgrade.

rrrr

Well I did the upgrade. My thoughts:

1. Would I do it again ............. YES
2. Road speed is now 55mph vs. 47mph at 2100 rpm
3. Ride is smoother just a little more bounce to it. I'll play with tire pressures.
4. Did a speedometer adapter change to compensate for the difference and the speedometer is dead on verified by gps
5. Breaking action is slightly worse those big tires, it takes a heavier foot to get stopped but not too much though. I would make sure the brakes are good before doing the change. I did put on a remote resevoir for the brakes so I can easily monitor any changes in fluid level and verified my brake pads condition.
6. With hubs the steering is a little easier even with the big tires !
7. Torque steer with hubs and that tight turn hop is gone !
8. The front end now feels a little loose so I'll be going through the TM's to see how to adjust the steering box tighter maybe get new steering arms and possibly put in a steering damper to make sure i won't get any kind of shimmy. I'll do one at a time to see if it makes things better and stop when I'm pleased with the handling. Its OK now I just want it better.

One thing to mention is that I agree with many here on the forum about how fast to go in a Deuce. With this setup I won't be planning on going over 60mph even though I know it will do over 70mph. I know I can get a CJ speedo that goes up to 70mph but i'm not planning on it as of now. Since my Deuce will spend 99% of its time on the road I think this is a great mod. It looks dam good as well.

I am planning on altering the gauge panel to include a pyro and boost gauge so I can monitor the engine better. I'm not planning on turning up the IP since the truck seems to do OK now.

Yes, here's the picture.

Attachments

wikallen

That looks great. Where did you source the rims and tires? That would be a great look for my 109. I like your exhaust elbow as well. Looks like it was there from the factory.

Lax

rrr,
Do you mind if I ask what the tires cost and then the wheels cost you separately? I'm always toying with a mod like this but cost is always an issue. Thanks and your rig looks GREAT!

rrrr

I'm going out to work on the Deuce again. Drop tire pressures to 60psi, tighten up the steering box and steering arms and see if that helps. Might also go ahead and drill and tap the exhaust for the pyro probe.

spicergear

Steering may feel "loose" because more toe in is needed. Usually the larger the tire the more the toe in to keep them from wandering.

LOOKS GREAT, btw!!!

ARYankee

Wow!! Looks great!! I was wanting to do the same with some of our income tax refund but instead opted out for an AR-15 and some parts for the deuce. Plus my wife was giving me a lot of crap about spending that much money when the tires I already have are good. I figure by next year she will be cool with that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks