• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's mounted, how to fix rubbing?

keithc

I got the Michelin XML 395's mounted on stock wheels and very satisfied with the look. Everyone I talked to said they get no rubbing or slight rub on steering rod on hard right turns. I am getting a considerable amount on the steering rod (rt turn) and also on the shock mount bracket (drivers side when turning hard left.) I have no problems with the rt side. I know you can adjust the turn radius, but I do not want to give up any turn radius due to off roading on tight trails. I was think ing of adding a 3/4-1 inch custom made spacer. I jacked the truck up and played around with adding washers just to get an idea of how much clearance (spacer I will need). I went ahead and bought longer studs today in anticipation of having spacers made. I have these on my F150 for similar problem, but they are only 3/8" thick. Any pros or cons other than the usual negative feedback about 395's on stock wheels.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Try looking for some m135 rims, they have more backspacing. You could also find some riveted rims and flip the dish on them. That pushes the tire out a little bit too. I think Jesse( jesusgatos) did that for his m109. I don't like the spacer idea. I tried spacing mine out by putting bud caps on, then the rim, then the nuts. I succeeded in snapping 4 wheel studs. In the end, the best bet is re-centered Hemtt rims.

Last edited:

keithc

Just blew my plan out of the water, but thanks for the heads up. What were you doing to snap the studs? How much space did you achieve with the bud caps?

gimpyrobb

Not enough! They still rubbed a bit. What did I do to snap the studs? I was driving 10hrs to 54reo's house to help build a Tx truck. 2hrs from my destination, I got a weird vibration. Guess what it was. That was a cold azz break-down.

gimpyrobb

Me? I finally got my Hemtt rims on just before the Ga rally last year. LOVE THEM. Up till then I used stockers.

hemichallenger

I got the Michelin XML 395's mounted on stock wheels and very satisfied with the look. Everyone I talked to said they get no rubbing or slight rub on steering rod on hard right turns. I am getting a considerable amount on the steering rod (rt turn) and also on the shock mount bracket (drivers side when turning hard left.) I have no problems with the rt side. I know you can adjust the turn radius, but I do not want to give up any turn radius due to off roading on tight trails. I was think ing of adding a 3/4-1 inch custom made spacer. I jacked the truck up and played around with adding washers just to get an idea of how much clearance (spacer I will need). I went ahead and bought longer studs today in anticipation of having spacers made. I have these on my F150 for similar problem, but they are only 3/8" thick. Any pros or cons other than the usual negative feedback about 395's on stock wheels.
When I run stock rims with 395s I put a longer bolt in the bump stops to stop the tires from rubbing. It does change the turning radius a little but you don't half to listen to the tires rub.

keithc

Yeah, stock rims. I just bought the tires and really did not want to spend the $ for rims when so many others run stock wheels w/o problems.

Punisher666

I just picked up a set of XML's from Kublos Surplus in PA and am in the process of breaking my stock ones down and mounting up the new rubber. Got 2 done today and ran out of daylight and its supposed to rain the whole weekend. Two of mine came with HEMTT rims so eventually I plan to get 4 more and re-center them. If anyone knows where to find any send me a PM.

197thhhc

We are in the process of flipping the centers on stock wheels. This will take the rub out. Otherwise you have to adjust the steering stops which will effect the turning radius. We will be mounting them soon to see how they work. The truck we are bobbing now has M34 wheels with 395s The wheel offset should help.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm considering 395's on my second deuce with just stock rims this go around. But I was thinking about going about things a little different for the front rub issue. I was going to get a guy that makes wheel centers to simply cut me out a spacer. (Basically one of their wheel centers only with a short OD) I could then use the budd studs to secure the spacer and use the thin lug nuts to secure the wheel. Has anyone done something like that before?

keithc

That sounds like a feasible idea, similar to what I proposed in the original post. Gimpy said he did something similar but he broke off 4 studs en route. I even looked at putting spacers between the steering box and the frame to bring the tire rod in closer to the outer frame and away from the tire. But...I cant move the steering box but 1/4" or it will hit the injector pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks