• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's mounted, how to fix rubbing?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
His idea doesn't sound too bad. The wheel centers have the bevel for the budd nut and should keep the wheel surfaces tight against the wheel mount surface. It is plausible.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
His idea doesn't sound too bad. The wheel centers have the bevel for the budd nut and should keep the wheel surfaces tight against the wheel mount surface. It is plausible.
Yeah I had talked to the guy making sure he could bevel the lug holes as well.

I'd like to try it, but in a way I kinda wanna keep my dropside 10 wheeled. But then again, I've got a spare set of wheels...

keithc

I thought about the wheel centers as well, but they are only 7/16 thick. I put longer studs on my hub and added washers and even put nuts on first, then the rim, then the regular lug nut to get an idea of how much clearance I would need. I need at least 1 1/4 " to avoid rub. To add insult to injury, some smart a** spot welded my steering adjustment bolts.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The washers are a bad idea(to run on the street) because the wheel needs to be clamped against the hub so it doesn't flex and crack the wheel studs. That is what happened in my case. Using the centers from a stock wheel would be a good choice (imho) but it sounds like they will not give the required clearance. Sucks to hear it.

197thhhc

We got our first wheel back from the machine shop with the center flipped . Running it this way offsets the wheel 7 inches out from the original wheel. We should have the full set soon and will mount them on our next bobbed unit with 395s. You could also flip the wheel back around, split ring to the inside and get a couple more inches of offset. When we get the rest and blast and paint them I will post more pics.

Attachments

keithc

Yeah, I didnt drive with the washers. I just had the front axle jacked up for easy steering. I was in the process of looking for m135 rims tonight. Do they have the same "look" as the deuce rims? I just hate to dismount/remount the 395's.

Harleighguy

197thhhc, Ok so I am thinking the centers were cut out and rewelded in?? Does it alter the split ring mounting at all?? You DON'T even want to see one of those POP off... I have seen the result of someone standing on top of the rim when it let go... End result is 2 broken shoulders, broken arms, oh yeah... he died too when it broke his neck and removed his jaw~ What a mess....

197thhhc

Harleighguy I appreciate your concern. Its good to know other people are as concerned about safety as I am.The centers were just machined out. The wheelhoop wasnt touched and the weld is not on the splitring lock. I have also seen someone killed by a splitring improperly attached when I was in the Army. This is why they are done by a machine shop with a certified welder instead of in my garage. Safety is the most important thing to us. Thats why when we bob a deuce we dont just remove and axle and cut the frame. We go thruogh the entire brake system and replace the wheel cylinders, hoses, master cyl and at least rebuild the airpack. I will put the split ring on and take some closer pics. Its a nice set up. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks