• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3D Printed HMMWV Hood Side Bumpers

diesel_dave

Hello Everyone,

Just got my 2006 M1152 and am currently going through it and repairing/replacing all the little things that are worn out and broken on it. After sitting out in the sun for years, the side hood bumpers were incredibly dry rotted and basically crumbling to dust. I found replacements for like $12 each but it seemed like a simple enough design to draft up in CAD software and 3D print out of TPU plastic (gives it a little squishiness). So I did all that and I think it turned out great. This particular design requires you to bust out the old metal bushings and push them in to the new 3D printed part which was really easy for me because mine were crumbling already.

If you have a 3D printer that can print in a semi-flexible material, feel free to give this a shot and save a few bucks since these cost <$1 each to print. Even if they only last a few years, you can just print another... I have attached the STL and some photos.

-Dave

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than $12 worth of trouble to change them, the OEM ones last for decades, doubt I will.
3D is pretty cool though and that is at least good practice.

Carrera911

I really like this idea! I got into 3D printing a few months back. I would print them in a hard material (petg) and put a 1/4” thick piece of neoprene foam or rubber on top. I haven’t messed with flexible filament yet but most of the ones I’ve seen online are really easily compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diesel_dave

I really like this idea! I got into 3D printing a few months back. I would print them in a hard material (petg) and put a 1/4” thick piece of neoprene foam or rubber on top. I haven’t messed with flexible filament yet but most of the ones I’ve seen online are really easily compressed.

I think your idea of PETG and neoprene or rubber on top would work fine. There are many different durometers of TPU filament available from very soft to pretty dang hard. The one I have was just a generic brand from Amazon but at 6 perimeter layers and 25% gyroid infill, the block is surprisingly hard when you squeeze it. Even with hood resting on it, it barely deforms so I think it should be good to go for hopefully a few years. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it ages out in the elements and with the hood pressing down on it.

bob380sl

Hello Everyone,

Just got my 2006 M1152 and am currently going through it and repairing/replacing all the little things that are worn out and broken on it. After sitting out in the sun for years, the side hood bumpers were incredibly dry rotted and basically crumbling to dust. I found replacements for like $12 each but it seemed like a simple enough design to draft up in CAD software and 3D print out of TPU plastic (gives it a little squishiness). So I did all that and I think it turned out great. This particular design requires you to bust out the old metal bushings and push them in to the new 3D printed part which was really easy for me because mine were crumbling already.

If you have a 3D printer that can print in a semi-flexible material, feel free to give this a shot and save a few bucks since these cost <$1 each to print. Even if they only last a few years, you can just print another... I have attached the STL and some photos.

-Dave
Hi Dave, these look great! Excellent application of 3d printing imo. Can I ask how you replaced them? I can't seem to find a way to get to the back side of the bolts holding them in.

- Bob

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Dave, these look great! Excellent application of 3d printing imo. Can I ask how you replaced them? I can't seem to find a way to get to the back side of the bolts holding them in.

- Bob
They are inside the truck,,,
Put your finger on one bolt and try to touch that finger with your other finger from inside.
Unless you are drunk you should be able to find the other finger with your eyes closed.

Guyfang

Staff member
I dont even know what an STL is, but assume its the directions on how to make the part. You are wasting your STL here in this thread. That's not to say don't post it here. You should. But perhaps you need to think about where, BETTER ,to ALSO post it. 3D Printing is the coming thing. I will once again use the ugly word assume, I assume more folks will be printing more parts for HMMWV's. And hope they would do the same thing you are doing. Posting the STL. Rather then having a bunch of threads with STL's, why not have them all in one place, for separate equipment?

Just a thought.

bob380sl

They are inside the truck,,,
Put your finger on one bolt and try to touch that finger with your other finger from inside.
Unless you are drunk you should be able to find the other finger with your eyes closed.
Interesting - I think I may have a different setup, since the underside of where the bumper bolts through is not accessible. That is, unless you want to take apart the rivets around that part of the chassis.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting - I think I may have a different setup, since the underside of where the bumper bolts through is not accessible. That is, unless you want to take apart the rivets around that part of the chassis.
They cannot be anywhere else, if they are "blind" then they would be set in nutserts and you can remove them without going inside.
Otherwise you are screwed..

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If I am envisioning your truck, the central bumper attachement has a steel bar drilled at either end that fits under the hood bumper and slides into a small rectangular space. That is what the bumper bolts attach to. Seems like yours is missing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am envisioning your truck, the central bumper attachement has a steel bar drilled at either end that fits under the hood bumper and slides into a small rectangular space. That is what the bumper bolts attach to. Seems like yours is missing.
OH, I did not think about the center one, that is a no brainer.

Superhonk

I have a veritable “crap-ton” I believe is the correct term for 3d printers, 2 creality ender 5 pros, 2 cr-10 smarts, a Frankenstein any cubic cossul, 4 eleego Saturn resin printers, and 1 anycubic proton. I also have a 40w Chinese laser cutter/engraver, and absolutely no idea how to make my own 3d models or stl files……I would love to print some parts for my newly acquired m1123, like fender flares, a dash/console for less than what I got the truck for, light brackets and anything else people can find a use for. I’d be willing to do the printing for material costs, a considerably smaller fee than every manufacturer in the world, and you provide the files or have them commissioned. Also am a whore for take off parts I need!

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks