• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3D Printer Nozzle Sizes

HDN

I just bought an assorted nozzle size kit from Creality for my Ender 5 Plus. It came with two nozzles each of:

0.2 mm
0.3 mm
0.5 mm
0.6 mm
0.8 mm
1.0 mm

And it came with twelve 0.4 mm nozzles, probably because they make twelve times more of those than the other sizes :p

I started off with a 0.2 mm nozzle to try to get finer detail with 1/265 scale miniatures. Unfortunately I had constant problems with nozzle clogging and none of the solutions I could fine worked, so I gave up on the 0.2 mm nozzle and won't even try the 0.3 mm nozzle. I figure that I should save my money for a SLA resin printer and curing station equipment if I really want to get better detail!

After running some printing scenarios with Cura, I decided to try the 0.6 mm nozzle. Again I'm printing 1/265 scale miniatures at 0.12 mm layer height, and so far it's great! I can get comparable detail to the 0.4 mm nozzle but with about 25% less printing time. It's even better with bigger, less-detailed objects.

Right now I'm printing fourteen 40 mm X 2 mm hexes at a 0.4 mm layer height. They'll be done in about two hours. If I ran the same job with a 0.4 mm nozzle at 0.3 mm layer height, it would finish up in about 3.5 hours. So I'm able to print about 40% faster with the bigger nozzle between the thicker line width and allowable thicker layer height.

So if you have a FDM 3D printer, I strongly suggest you give this a try, especially if you're printing bigger objects!

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After running some printing scenarios with Cura, I decided to try the 0.6 mm nozzle. Again I'm printing 1/265 scale miniatures at 0.12 mm layer height, and so far it's great! I can get comparable detail to the 0.4 mm nozzle but with about 25% less printing time. It's even better with bigger, less-detailed objects.

Right now I'm printing fourteen 40 mm X 2 mm hexes at a 0.4 mm layer height. They'll be done in about two hours. If I ran the same job with a 0.4 mm nozzle at 0.3 mm layer height, it would finish up in about 3.5 hours. So I'm able to print about 40% faster with the bigger nozzle between the thicker line width and allowable thicker layer height.

So if you have a FDM 3D printer, I strongly suggest you give this a try, especially if you're printing bigger objects!
What filament are you using? I have used mostly ABS for the better wear, and built a great enclosure which helps a ton on prints, I'm going to see about ordering some 0.6mm for my Ender 5 Plus for when I get around to it.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

What filament are you using? I have used mostly ABS for the better wear, and built a great enclosure which helps a ton on prints, I'm going to see about ordering some 0.6mm for my Ender 5 Plus for when I get around to it.
I've mostly used eSun ABS. I've also made a few parts out of Polymaker ASA. I've had a good experience with both filaments :) I've used Hatchbox ABS too, but their ABS is blended with other plastic that isn't ABS, so it can't be bathed in acetone for a smooth surface finish. I've also found it to have a poor surface quality right off the print bed anyway.

I used the 1mm nozzle for the first time yesterday printing half an 80' O-scale rail yard light tower. The finish quality is lousy at 0.5mm layer height, but it printed the ~12"-tall X 1.25"-square part in about 5 hours. I'm sure it'll find use for other big stuff!

I've found the 0.6mm nozzle to be a good mix of finish quality and speed compared to the 0.4mm nozzle. I've actually been using the 0.6mm nozzle to print 1/265-scale miniatures with little loss in detail but about a 25% reduction in print time. And with these printers, time is money due to their power consumption!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks