• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3kW 28V external auxiliary power unit from an Abrams

RandomStart

A friend of mine recently acquired one of these little guys and needs some help finding specs and info about the unit. So if you happen to have any maintenance manuals or heck even the correct maintenance intervals it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost bought one of those from a ebay seller in CA, ended up deciding not to after discovering the TMs for it are restricted. The only difference was this one put out 120 volts AC. I think its made my Walker Power Systems and the engine Lister-Petter T-series. The gen set itself as I remember is not restricted itself just the application it's used for. Looking up the engines maintenance intervals might be your best bet.

Guyfang

Staff member
A friend of mine recently acquired one of these little guys and needs some help finding specs and info about the unit. So if you happen to have any maintenance manuals or heck even the correct maintenance intervals it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Dude,

Try looking in the manuals forum, here in Steel Soldiers. The most up to date manuals, so far as I know are here for you. Simply download them. If you don't know how to find them, then let us know.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

is this the genny you have?

Screenshot_16.png

or do you have the turret mounted version?

Screenshot_17.png

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Dude,

Try looking in the manuals forum, here in Steel Soldiers. The most up to date manuals, so far as I know are here for you. Simply download them. If you don't know how to find them, then let us know.
I take that back. this gen set is not in our forum. I did have the books, need to look around. And yes, which one? They will not be on the normal power generation disk. These are not considered generators, but APU's, (auxiliary power units). Shoot some pictures!! and include the data plates, so we can see which manuals we need.

Guyfang

Staff member
Personally, I don't think you need one. The cav units had lots of problems with them. I went into a maintenance bay one time in a Cav unit, to find 20-25 of these things on the floor. The unit was going down range, and "procured" new sets for each tank, and a "few" spares. The failure rate was not something to write home to Ma about. I never got to work on one, as the units simply sent them "away". This is a TACOM, Tank and Automotive Command managed item I think. Still need to know which one it was.

eatont9999

Personally, I don't think you need one. The cav units had lots of problems with them. I went into a maintenance bay one time in a Cav unit, to find 20-25 of these things on the floor. The unit was going down range, and "procured" new sets for each tank, and a "few" spares. The failure rate was not something to write home to Ma about. I never got to work on one, as the units simply sent them "away". This is a TACOM, Tank and Automotive Command managed item I think. Still need to know which one it was.
You are right. I don't have a need or use for one of these. I still want a turbine powered genset simply because they sound bad ass when they start up and shut down. Let the neighbors know I am working on some serious stuff over here!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. What practical use do they have for civilian life? Forgive me, I'm trying to justify to myself why I need one...
Well, if you have any other equipment that uses 24v, then you have a jumpstarter, or a battery charger, or a run/diagnose without having to put batteries in it, or to make little boys ask questions.

IMG_0993.jpg

mine isnt the 3k described here, but a 4 duece is the same thing, apu.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Having used words I cant in good conscience use in church or in public concerning the 4.2, its 1000% better then that APU for the M1A1 tank. Or so I have been told. When the 4.2 got a diesel engine, then life was good!

Guyfang

Staff member
There is also another APU for the M88, (Fat Albert) that uses the same engine as the MEP-003A. As a matter of fact, several are in that big auction house right now.

RandomStart

Sorry about not responding back sooner, life got a little hectic. It is the turret mounted version, I'll grab a bunch of pics including data plates for you guys very soon and post them up here.
The reason for purchase was because its armored and thats always sweet... and because tank APU!
:tank:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks