• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3L80 Tranny Leak - Troubleshooting

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a leak at the front of my tranny. I have not pulled the flywheel cover off yet but I wanted to ask about a friend's suggestion:

He said that sometimes the torque converter may leak or cause a leak. He said to clean things up a bit and try tightening the bolts before pulling. Have you heard of this before?

The reason I ask is I don't want to delay if in fact I need to do a rebuild. Thanks in advance!

Action

.....He said that sometimes the torque converter may leak or cause a leak. He said to clean things up a bit and try tightening the bolts before pulling. Have you heard of this before?
What bolts would you tighten? The torque converter is bolted to the flywheel, and the trans is bolted to the engine block. I can't see either of those causing a leak if loose.

I would remove the cover, clean it up, run it some, and see where fluid is coming from.

orgnal

I have a leak at the front of my tranny. I have not pulled the flywheel cover off yet but I wanted to ask about a friend's suggestion:

He said that sometimes the torque converter may leak or cause a leak. He said to clean things up a bit and try tightening the bolts before pulling. Have you heard of this before?

The reason I ask is I don't want to delay if in fact I need to do a rebuild. Thanks in advance!
It is possible that the O-ring on the dip stick tube is leaking. Remove the dog house and shine a flashlight to where the dip stick goes into the transmission. See if that area is wet with transmission fluid. If yes, clean it up as best as you can, drive a little and see if it gets wet again.

McReddy

papakb

Early on I had lots of problems with leaks in this area on my 998. Things that I found were the O ring on the dipstick tube was dry and cracked. The flared ridge on the metal tube had cracked at the ridge, the O ring on the modulator valve was leaking and the bolts on the front of the trans pan weren't tight. You didn't mention if your leak was just on the bottom of the trans or coming out of the weep hole on the inspection cover. If that's where it is you could have leaks from the torque converter or the input seal to the transmission pump or a leak from the pump mounting flange.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks