• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3m Panel Bond instead of welding?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Untrained & novice mig welder here, but I've watched the experts on TV use .24 wire on thinner sheet metals. I welded in an 18 gauge patch this weekend outdoors with my Miller 211 using .24 and didn't have any trouble with burn through, the wind was a little breezy. I set my gas output to about 30psi, which I knew was a little high but I figure it didn't hurt outdoors.
I usually run .30 wire in my Miller 251. It seems to do OK with all but the thinnest material and can also go 1/2" thick or more. It seems to be a good all around size. Just slow down and run cool on the thinner stuff and speed up and run hot on the thick stuff.

From your pics it looks as if you are running a little too cold on your tack welds (not much penetration and a humped up a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks