• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4.2 kW 24VDC Teledyne 4A032-4 generator Manual

royjustme

Hello,

I just joined today first because a blogger, don't know the name, recommended this forum as a place to find a manual for my recently purchased generator. Secondly because once in I noticed something impressive, the Chaplain's space. I am a recently retired Hospital Chaplain and Chaplain educator.
It seems I found a friendly space for learning and supporting.

I primarily make ink pens on my wood lathe, but i was raised by a mechanic. I want to use this generator for my house if the grid falls off. I have to learn how to hook up a 24VDC generator into an inverter then to a switch box and sub-panel. I really do not want to use deep cycle batteries, just the generator.

So, if anyone knows where to download a service and operational manual i will be grateful. Likewise if anyone has experience hooking in a DC generator /inverter etcetera.
Other than thank you my strongest skill and knowledge base is chaplain stuff and pen making

Roy

rustystud

First off, hello ! Second, why are you going from 24 volt DC to 120/240 AC ? Just get a regular MEP-002A or MEP-003A or one of the newer MEP-802 or MEP 803 units. Save yourself a ton of grief !

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving an inverter directly from a DC generator will be problematic. You will need some low impedance power source to provide high instantaneous current when the demand on the AC side changes. The generator will fill in the area under the curve so to speak. It can provide the steady state power but it will never be able to do a 10x increase in current while holding the voltage steady. The voltage will dip and the inverter will go offline. For lights and a TV you will be OK. If your fridge kicks in.. You will have problems.

An alternative to using batteries is to use a bank of super-capacitors. You aren't looking for any real run time on the stored energy. You need only peak energy supply. Something that lasts in the order of a second is enough to keep things from tripping out. A couple of 12v deep cycle batteries are cheaper.

Guyfang

Staff member
I just uploaded all the TM's you need to work on the 4.2 KW gen set in the TM upload section. If you have questions, shoot us a line.

rustystud

Driving an inverter directly from a DC generator will be problematic. You will need some low impedance power source to provide high instantaneous current when the demand on the AC side changes. The generator will fill in the area under the curve so to speak. It can provide the steady state power but it will never be able to do a 10x increase in current while holding the voltage steady. The voltage will dip and the inverter will go offline. For lights and a TV you will be OK. If your fridge kicks in.. You will have problems.

An alternative to using batteries is to use a bank of super-capacitors. You aren't looking for any real run time on the stored energy. You need only peak energy supply. Something that lasts in the order of a second is enough to keep things from tripping out. A couple of 12v deep cycle batteries are cheaper.
After reading this last post, just remember there is even more problems you will be facing with this set-up. Really, save yourself some grief and get a MEP that is already to run 120/240 AC volts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks