• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 bolt Reese hitch

army326

Does anyone make a 4 bolt Reese type hitch to go where the pintle hook hitch goes on a M1009? i would like to have one to put on when i pull my small camper to events.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never saw one, you could make one but I don't think attaching it just to the bumper is a good idea. You should get a reciever hitch that bolts to the frame. Much safer that way.

dunedigger

You can find a pitle/ball replacement, I looked into this as well but was way to high to be practical for anything I pull. I ended up puting on a frame hitch. Went very well. I think that's the way to go. Even with a frame hitch I had to use a 3" drop for my small camper.
And by the way my first trip last weekend with it I overheated the tranny. Be sure to put in a tranny cooler before you pull anything.

1stDeuce

I saw one today on some imported from china page... Didn't really think it looked like a good idea... there's a lot of leverage on that tiny bolt pattern by the time you get the ball mounted up 12" or more away from the mount flange...

You might read this thread, which has some other hitch ideas:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/33680-replacing-pintle-hitch.html

Easy enough to make your own if you have some need for light duty receiver, but it seems you'd be better off to hang it below the pintle, and tie it to the frame on each side of the bumper, like a rearward facing "T"... ???

Best of luck!!
C

army326

It is a modern pop-up very light. i would rather not add a underframe hitch to the M1009. i might try to make one myself.

aboonski

Here you go! Bought this at a local auto parts store that also stocks trailer parts and hitches - around $85.00 and the bolt pattern was identical to that on my M1008A1. I haul a 20 foot car trailer with this hitch all the time. The biggest problem appears to be the height of the ball in comparison to where they normally are when the hitch is attached below the bumper. The M1008 has a beefier frame reinforcement than that of the M1009 so it can handle a few extra pounds of trailer. Eventually I will install a class III hitch below the bumper that will provide for more options in regard to ball height, etc.

Attachments

jag7720

Never saw one, you could make one but I don't think attaching it just to the bumper is a good idea. You should get a reciever hitch that bolts to the frame. Much safer that way.

I'm still trying to figure this out.

If you put on an under bumper mounted hitch that bolts to the 1" bar that goes between the shackle lift points as well as the bumper that is also bolted to the frame behind the pintle... it seems like that is bolted to the frame many times.

The bumper on the CUCV is not like a civi bumper.

What am I missing?