• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 hours at the DMV and I have a plate!

ragedracer

So I finally got my SF-97 in from GL and decided to get my plates/title/registration taken care of. I left the house at 7:45am on Friday morning, thinking, hey its the day after Christmas, this should be easy! Boy, was I wrong.

In Arizona, all vehicles have to take an emissions test. I arrived there at 8am, and proceeded to sit in line for 1.5 hours. The test itself was fairly simple, for the M1009 they put the rear wheels on rollers, took it up to 50 mph and stuck an opacity meter over the exhaust pipes, one at a time. Allowed 20% opacity, it scored 7.7%. Pass!! Yee ha! Now, head to the DMV right across the street.

Arrived there at ~10am. Went to the window, told them I was registering a former .gov vehicle and asked what to do. Guy looked at my paperwork and printed me off a #. J667. I looked up at the board, noticed the place was pretty crowded, but saw they were on J656 already. Wow! Cakewalk! WRONG.

What I didn't realize is that they issue tickets for different things with different letters. So, there was A's, B's, C's, D's, etc etc. So, while I thought there was only 10 people ahead of me, there was more like 150. I waited for 2.5 hours before they called my #. Its now well after noon. I'm hungry, but heck, I'm almost done! I pull out all the paperwork and give it to the "nice" lady. She looks at, looks at me, then says "Where's your inspection?". I point out the emission paperwork, she says "No, your vehicle inspection."

I had no clue what she was talking about. She then proceeded to tell me that I had to have a VIN inspection since it was a never registered vehicle. Inspection is free. I have to drive around the back of the building where a DMV officer will do the inspection. She then tells me that I won't have to get a new number, I can just come straight back to her when I get the approved form. Good!

I head around back. Lackey inspector looks at my VIN plate on the dash, then opens the door and looks at the plate on the frame. Hm. They don't match. Yeah, no crap. You're looking at the NSN #. Then I had to explain all of that. He gets it, then starts looking around for more. I ask what hes looking for. "Oh, the FMVSS sticker." Apparently CUCV's don't have one of these. So, now it needs a level 3 inspection. $50.

I have to pull it around to a garage, where they proceed to check every light, turn signals, horn, etc, etc, etc. Amazingly, it passes. It is now 2pm. I head back to the desk of the lady helping me. She's still there!!

She takes all my paperwork again, and gets started. Uh-Oh. Its an SF-97. She doesn't know how to do it. Gets a supervisor. They confer for a few moments and she comes back and asks "So, who is Jean?". I think for a minute, and say "I give up, who is she?" Lady gives me an ood look, points to the SF-97 and says "this lady, the one who the SF-97 is issued to." I explain that that is the title clerk at GL, and show the power of attorney that allows me to transfer it to my name. She leaves again and speaks to the supervisor. She comes back with a notebook of instructions. Show them to me and says that by AZ law, GL has to take title from the .gov then have that title transferred into their (GL's) name, which title can then be transferred to my name.

GL knows this, but not all DMV's require it. Which, I guess, is why they will get you a Florida title if you ask. Anyway, they lady says that since I have a power of attorney signed by "Jean" that they were going to work around it. She issued a title to the M1009 in Jean's name. Printed it out, brought it to me, I signed it over to myself, using the power of attorney. She then notarized it, and transferred that title into my name. Issued my plates, tags, and registration!!

I got home at 3:30pm. Nearly 8 hours to deal with that crap. On the bright side, one year registration was only $18.

So, if you're in AZ, and need your registration make sure you get your inspection first. Heck, maybe make your own FMVSS sticker to save time, and try to get a FL title from GL.

rr

OffRoad

note to self: "borrow" license plate of old truck, install.
print inspection on sticky paper, install.

i'm joking, but wow that's a lot of work. all that for some old truck, but just have babies whenever you want.:roll: