• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 July 2016 Centralia, WA Summerfest MV display

Another Ahab

We do have one or two guys that do Navy, but unfortunately they won't be there that day. There was an article this week about our counties last Pearl Harbor survivor and he was Navy, he was with the PBY squadron on Ford Island. They got their planes off between waves and didn't lose an aircraft or man that day. But he did lose friends.
Thanks for that item; I never heard this detail until now, and I'm glad I learned it and that you mentioned it.

My old man's golf foursome included the guy (Victor Delano) who instructed Doris Miller that day how to fire a twin .50.

Darndest thing, I never learned about this until after both my dad and Victor Delano were dead (they never talked about it).

Doris Miller, you might not know the story, but chance is you will recognize his picture:

doris.jpg

Last edited:

Amer-team

Mission accomplished. Here are a few photos from the day. We ended up with about 35 people for lunch and 16 vehicles in the parade, ranging from 1941 GP to a 1987 Humvee. We also took 1st place in the parade for Historical entry.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Mission accomplished. Here are a few photos from the day. We ended up with about 35 people for lunch and 16 vehicles in the parade, ranging from 1941 GP to a 1987 Humvee. We also took 1st place in the parade for Historical entry.
Thanks for the great pics; that's a nice mix of vehicles.

And the "Beast" with the first class tow-bar looks real nice. :beer:

Amer-team

Larry bought the Beast from CA a while back and has done some touch up and further restoration. It is a really nice 1970 M813. Too bad the M923's don't have a nice place to hang the tow bar, like the 813"s. As for the mix, we just get what people bring. But it was definitely a nice grouping this year.

SR, the 4th is Tuesday next year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks