• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 new/ used CUCV's

seabee mike

I was at the bombing range today and they delivered 4 m1009's to be used as targets. They look new outside but not inside. really good shape over all. I requested to remove some parts before they are destroyed. new goodyears, for sure. I will need to get some junk tires so they can roll. So many good parts . I hope to be able to strip out the small stuff. If i can i will pass on extra parts. I cant sell what belongs to tax payers. there was a bunch of MV's all over.

seabee mike

I will get some. I don't know if i will be going back out this week but if they let me grab parts i will. The range is about 1 hour away.

True Knight

It's sad how many of these trucks are going out to be used as targets. When i was stationed in 29 Palms there was about 20 1009's and a few 1008's on death row. I was only able to get the troop seats out of one of the 1008's. I wish they wouldve given me more time! I would've loved to get the bows too. Now those are on my list of things to find for my truck...

This pic shows some of the trucks lined up behind mine. Including a white 1009 which you can see on the other side of my truck.

Attachments

blackhueys

Pisses me off that they do this to old MV. I was in the NV national guard for a few years and one job I got was to load some of the old manual tranny dueces litterally drove them on the truck to take to the range nothing wrong with them except they had a manual trans thats it! what the heck the states hurting for money I had about 12 trucks like this, why not sell each as is online for a couple thousand each and make some money back on them! nope dumb state. In kuwait and iraq (have not had the fun of afgan yet hope I dont either) we could have used anything that ran for on post work we had a 1009 in kuwait not much left but it ran and did its job good! just really ticks me off that the gov is broke cant find out why they are while the whole time the throw away good hardware thats 100% good still. Heck I pulled from scrap metal yard a complete CVC system for 4 people all cables everything all I did was repair the main board for about 25 bucks! The commo chief saw what I did and said that the system I installed was about 4000 grand worth in parts! So lets gut the old system for a cost of 4000 grand instead of 2 hours worth of work and 25 bucks to fix, yep uncle sam can't figure it out why they are broke. I could go on with all the waste and abuse I saw while I was in but over all seeing the amount of good MV's with no major issues that are thrown away just burns me up. never know what they might have done in the past. At ft.irwin ca there is a huey that the museum restored that was actually sitting on the range getting run up to speed to be blown up, I bring this up as well because this huey was saved for good reason and just barely in time. This huey was shot at in Vietnam a member of the crew ended up getting the medal of honor during the fire fight thank god it was at least saved! people get awards why cant the vehicals they get them in be giving an award like a second life!

YEah i totally understand it really sucks how all of it works but what can u do except try to save as much as u can if some one is willin to let u [thumbzup]most are pretty good about lettin ya get stuff thiers been quite a few that the terminolgy DOUCHE BAG comes to mind though one in every bunch :wink:

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
It's sad how many of these trucks are going out to be used as targets. When i was stationed in 29 Palms there was about 20 1009's and a few 1008's on death row. I was only able to get the troop seats out of one of the 1008's. I wish they wouldve given me more time! I would've loved to get the bows too. Now those are on my list of things to find for my truck...

This pic shows some of the trucks lined up behind mine. Including a white 1009 which you can see on the other side of my truck.

About two years ago, 11th Marine Regiment drove 10 of them, completely serviceable, out to the paintball range on Camp Pendelton for targets. The dude who ran the range wouldn't let anyone touch them. Complete waste. Sad. aua

KsM715

Id rather see them used for targets than go to the shredder. At least our military is getting some good use out of them.

86k10

Wouldn't that be a good use for crash tested vehicles instead? There all over GSA auctions.
Yes it would be a good use for them, so this just shows what kind of retards we have running our country. They don't give a rats A$$ about us taxpayers who payed for this stuff to start with and would gladly buy back to save it from such a stupid act.

seabee mike

Well with the high tech sighting systems they need objects that reflect actual sizes and shapes . If they sold the blazers for 2k each then bought targets from the union contractors who provide such projects they would cost around 20k each. So blasting the items that have been already paid for is a good thing. The tanks last 5 years and the trucks last 1. unless they drop a real bomb or a concrete dummy hits it. I would like to at least strip them as they only need the shell

True Knight

Well with the high tech sighting systems they need objects that reflect actual sizes and shapes . If they sold the blazers for 2k each then bought targets from the union contractors who provide such projects they would cost around 20k each. So blasting the items that have been already paid for is a good thing. The tanks last 5 years and the trucks last 1. unless they drop a real bomb or a concrete dummy hits it. I would like to at least strip them as they only need the shell

I agree. It was always nice to shoot at things that actually look like vehicles. And the price they pay to have semi-realistic targets made is somewhat ridiculous. But i would be great to strip all the useful parts and just leave the shell!

2deuce

The govt doesn't make anything they sell through GL. It is just a way to dispose of it. Look at the SF97 it tells what GL paid for it. Using them as targets is sad from our point of view but is a practical use and could be saving the military money in a twisted sort of way, which is the way our govt works.

True Knight

Obviously you missed the part about "Paint Ball"!!! Not even remotely a useful training exercise. Sh*t. we could use trash cans for that. aua
I was talking about shooting at vehicles with the LAV's and 81mm mortars. I don't see any real training value in shooting at vehicles with paintballs. Although force on force paintball can be great training if organized properly!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks