• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 speed tranny with overdrive

Jan Micka

Hi guys,
I do have a 1097 HMMWV here in Europe.
Is there a better tranny controller? What I do not like when driving like an old fart, the tranny still winds up all the gears before shifting to higher gear. Quite disappointment from the 3 speed tranny my previous humvee had.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it didn’t occur to you that that is not normal and your truck needs maintenance?

Jan Micka

Does the TRANS light by the shifter stay on when the engine is running?
Nope, everything seems fine, I have rode in 3 different 4 spped trucks and they all seem to shift the same. Seems the controller just shift by rpm and does not consider throttle position. I thought it might be just that way which I don't like. My 1097 has 152 miles since rebuilt in 2013 in Barstow.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, everything seems fine, I have rode in 3 different 4 spped trucks and they all seem to shift the same. Seems the controller just shift by rpm and does not consider throttle position. I thought it might be just that way which I don't like. My 1097 has 152 miles since rebuilt in 2013 in Barstow.
The TCM most definitely takes into consideration the throttle position via the TP (throttle position) sensor mounted to the injection pump. It sends a signal of 0.5 volts at closed throttle to 4.5 at wide open throttle. I would suggest you perform diagnostics. 2013 was a long time ago.

Jan Micka

The TCM most definitely takes into consideration the throttle position via the TP (throttle position) sensor mounted to the injection pump. It sends a signal of 0.5 volts at closed throttle to 4.5 at wide open throttle. I would suggest you perform diagnostics. 2013 was a long time ago.
OK, thanks. I need to Google then how to check it. I have ordered the tan n time device for the correct ip timing as it seems to me the engine is too advanced. The old 6,2 made half the noise the 6,5 does.

I installed a 4 speed with transfer into my 1986 old 6.2 v-belt but i used the transmission controller and harness from blackdog customs. This controller allows easy shift point adjustments through USB. I'm happy with my shift points the controller allows for easy adjustments if I wanted to. I balanced what I read on the issues with the standard military version TCM harness and aftermarket versions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks