• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4" vs. 6" lift on m1008 W/37" hummer tires

victor3ranger

Did you lengthen your front shaft with the 6"? What's the issue ..... driveling vibrations?

:grin:
The main issue is that it is SO freakin tall now. I'm pretty short and I have to crawl up in this thing like a kid on a jungle gym. The other thing I don't like is how it feels going around corners, feels like the center of gravity is way too high.
The front drive shaft is still factory length.

KAISERM715

Thanks for the info on the front shaft. I just ordered a 6" kit and will see how it turns out, I'm hoping to get working on it next week.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Tanaga

If I did a ORD 4" lift with a 1" ORD add a leaf, exactly how much trimming would I need to do with 37" tires. Several members have said minor trimming, but what does this mean?

KAISERM715

From what I understand a 5" kit will clear 37x12.5x16.5 Goodyears on OEM wheels with no trimming. A 4" kit will also clear them with minor inner fender trimming. You can also push the front D.60 ahead 1" to help on the 5" with inner fender clearance via ORD

each brand of 37"'s will fit differently. From my experience S.S. Is a more true size compared to Good Year Wranglers which are way smaller than advertised.

Welder59

Gentlemen, have a question on the rear, im planning on lifting mine and running 37" surplus tires as well, i run them on my other truck and love them but on this M1008, i plan to built a welding bed and have this as my back up rig, witch option would you say would handle more payload, the stock rear springs with a shackle flip, or 4 in lift springs... or other options? please advise.

CUCVLOVER

Gentlemen, have a question on the rear, im planning on lifting mine and running 37" surplus tires as well, i run them on my other truck and love them but on this M1008, i plan to built a welding bed and have this as my back up rig, witch option would you say would handle more payload, the stock rear springs with a shackle flip, or 4 in lift springs... or other options? please advise.
The stock set up is a 1 ton spring pack with enough overloads to push the rating to 1 1/4 tons. This is why the truck rides like a skate board.
I have had 2300 lbs on my trucks flatbed. Once the weight hit the overloads it sat there no problem.

KAISERM715

The stock set up is a 1 ton spring pack with enough overloads to push the rating to 1 1/4 tons. This is why the truck rides like a skate board.
I have had 2300 lbs on my trucks flatbed. Once the weight hit the overloads it sat there no problem.
So I wonder if one goes with any sort of rear modification re-man add a leaf to the rear of the M1008, they will send you a center bolt long enough to accommodate a K30 leaf pack and not an M1008 pack?? Just thinking as some kits come with a rear block and add a leaf to accomplish lift height. I guess my question would be is the rear leaf pack on an M1008 thicker/more springs than a K30 or just rated for more weight??

Chaski

If I did a ORD 4" lift with a 1" ORD add a leaf, exactly how much trimming would I need to do with 37" tires. Several members have said minor trimming, but what does this mean?
Depends. If you live in Kansas and run around where it is flat you can get away with no trimming. Otherwise the amount of trimming is going to depend on a few things.
1) tire size
2) wheel back spacing
3) bump stop location

Example. My truck is lifted about 3". I run 37" MTR tires on HMMWV wheels that were re centered to about 5" backspacing. I have longer shocks, and stock bumpstops. My front fenders are trimmed to the inner fender front and rear. I do not rub no matter how much the truck flexes.

Example 2. My buddy runs around in an M1008 nearly identical to my pickup, except that he has about 5" lift, and has 37" tires on HMMWV wheels re centered to about 3.5" backspacing. He also has his front fenders trimmed to the inner fender well... but because of the backspacing he had a larger scrub radius and rubs his inner fender well when turning.

To keep the fender hacking to a minimum...
1) tuck your wheels in as far as possible
2) move your front axle forward 1"

I really don't think that a off road capable square box can fit 37" tires without trimming unless you get terribly stiff springs, or you elect to lift it 8+ "

CUCVLOVER

So I wonder if one goes with any sort of rear modification re-man add a leaf to the rear of the M1008, they will send you a center bolt long enough to accommodate a K30 leaf pack and not an M1008 pack?? Just thinking as some kits come with a rear block and add a leaf to accomplish lift height. I guess my question would be is the rear leaf pack on an M1008 thicker/more springs than a K30 or just rated for more weight??
I would say the 08 pack is thicker than a stock k30 because of the overload springs. The overloads are added to the regular pack.

If the bolt is a issue buy a longer bolt. A nice grade 10 Allen bolt should be fine. Allen bolts can take a lot of torque.