• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wd light

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the GM part numbers are in the tech parts manuals. Take the GM number and you can cross reference to the NAPA number.

chesapeake

7-3-2013 10-09-58 AM.jpgFigured I would add to this vs starting a new thread. I am in need of a new switch for my 205 TC. In the TMs it lists the part number as 15594176. Napa can't cross refernece the number. So we looked it up the old way in the system. What came up (Napa part # FWD37 and there is only one in the entire country) looks just like the pictures Warthog posted earlier in this thread. Problem is that my switch doesn't have the ball bearing on the bottom, it had a needle/leg hanging down that fits into a spring inside the TC. Anybody got any ideas as to what to do?

Last edited:

chesapeake

I will give that a shot when I get home. I actually ordered a new switch on Wednesday. I have a 205 TC and the TMs say use Dexron II and when full it should be 4" below the fill plug. How do you measure the 4"? In my jeep wrangler, you fill it up untill it pours out of the fill hole.

chesapeake

All of you that replaced your switch, did you go from the original that had a spring and shaft the fit inside the TC to the switch that has the detent ball? If so, how did you make it fit? I ordered one with a shaft and spring and received a detent ball. There is no way to screw it down. I need some advise please????????

skuhler

My light doesn't work either, and sometimes the fuse for the dash lights blows. Is it possible that the 4wd switch is in the same fuse circuit and the wire is pinched, then grounding out and blowing the fuse? Or is the 4wd switch light in a different fuse circuit?

Cannoncocker

FWD Light

I got lucky on my 205 switch. In FWD the light would work and sometimes not. I pulled the switch and with carb cleaner and a brass punch worked the ball in and out and gave it a good cleaning. A dab of grease on the ball and it working like new. If it goofs up again I will replace it. For what it's worth.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My light doesn't work either, and sometimes the fuse for the dash lights blows. Is it possible that the 4wd switch is in the same fuse circuit and the wire is pinched, then grounding out and blowing the fuse? Or is the 4wd switch light in a different fuse circuit?
The fuse for the 4x4 light is fuse #5 it controls the heater, GEN1 excitor circuit, Oil pressure light and the 4x4 circuit. The dash lights are not included.

TexAndy

Has anyone managed to get the old switch off without cutting a hole in the floor of the cab?

I can't get mine to budge and there's not enough room to get a cheater bar on the wrench.

Unless anyone's got any bright ideas, I'm about to just say "Screw it, I don't really need the indicator light"

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the transfer case? Only six bolts and the drive shaft. Just pulled the TC out of my suburban. Didn't take long.

TexAndy

Drop the transfer case? Only six bolts and the drive shaft. Just pulled the TC out of my suburban. Didn't take long.

ok, looking at the -20, it doesn't appear too difficult but a quick question:

Can you reuse the transfer case adapter gasket? If not, can you simply use RTV instead?

cucvrus

You should be able to get that switch out without dropping the transfer case. I changed them many times. And would not reuse the seal if you do decide to drop the transfer case. A dealer should have one for a few bucks. I have used Permatex The right stuff all ready on the old gasket if I could not get to town. But try again and get that old switch out. Maybe if you remove the 4WD shifter. Just brainstorming. I never had that issue. It was tight but came right out.

TexAndy

Can't even get the cotter pin off the shift lever. Which is what would also need to happen if I wanted to drop the transfer case.

So I guess I'm just going to have to live with no 4wd indicator light. Or just bypass the pressure switch and install an inline switch on the dash, then flip it and play pretend that the pressure switch is working.

TexAndy

All of the GM part numbers are in the tech parts manuals. Take the GM number and you can cross reference to the NAPA number.

The only thing I can find that might be the 4 wheel drive indicator light switch is in 2320-289-20p on page 148 (65-1)
Number 51 on the diagram, part number 14037986

Description: "SWITCH,PUSH"

Is that it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks