• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wire cable next to dog house

Sigi

Going through my newly acquired 1123, I found a heavy duty cable coming out of the center console next to the dog house. The connector has 4 female sockets and there is a center nut to fasten the connector to the target device. Anybody know what this was connected to? Power supply to the radio stack?4 wire cable.jpg

springer1981

Thank you. I assume it is both 12/24V since I have the dual voltage alternator. I'll leave it alone until I figure out any additional power needs I might have in the future.
I don't think so. I just put one in mine and it is just 24v but uses 2 pins for 24 and 2 pins for ground.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, radio or radio accessory power such as an amplifier but only 24v.

At the top of the pic with the multiple body grommets, What are those wires for? One looks like the red/black for a solargizer? or _______?

Sigi

I had this in my 1152 and the four wires ran to some type of fuse block behind the starter and on top on the frame rail. PIA to remove.
I removed the cable today. While the cable looked beefy, it is all insulation, the wires inside are tiny. Barely can see any copper. I checked for voltage- there was none. Turns out the demil guys had cut the 4 small wires just below the grommet under the truck. No fuse in mine, directly connected to the two main power studs. I guess, no fuse needed with wires that thin.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this in my 1152 and the four wires ran to some type of fuse block behind the starter and on top on the frame rail. PIA to remove.
I am in the same situation and see that this will be a PITA. So, just how did you go about removing those wires from the power stud and shunt? I'm having trouble seeing the location let alone reaching it. I'm tempted to snip the wires, cap each of them off, and zip tie them securely out of the way.

Sigi

I am in the same situation and see that this will be a PITA. So, just how did you go about removing those wires from the power stud and shunt? I'm having trouble seeing the location let alone reaching it. I'm tempted to snip the wires, cap each of them off, and zip tie them securely out of the way.
I removed the two bolts on top that hold the rubber grommet. The two nuts below plus the metal reinforcement fell off. This allowed me to pull out the cable from above. My wires did not go the battery compartment, but to the two main power studs penetrating the battery compartment below where the grommet is. Whoever de-militarized the truck had already cut the four small wires close to the power studs. If your wires are still intact, clipping them off close to the studs would be fine.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the two bolts on top that hold the rubber grommet. The two nuts below plus the metal reinforcement fell off. This allowed me to pull out the cable from above. My wires did not go the battery compartment, but to the two main power studs penetrating the battery compartment below where the grommet is. Whoever de-militarized the truck had already cut the four small wires close to the power studs. If your wires are still intact, clipping them off close to the studs would be fine.
Thanks. I was able to remove the two ground wires from the shunt pass through but was unable to reach the power stud. I ended up clipping, capping, and securing the hot wires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks