• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 amp alternator replaceable bearing?

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1151 has a wobbly clutch pully and its making horrible noise. I see a bearing listed for the 200amp alternator, but was wondering if the same bearing can be replaced on the 400amp alternator. Looking for a replacement the cheapest I could find was $461 at mac motors.

Attachments

springer1981

I'd try replacing it using any method possible, worst case you still need a new one. As my signature says "If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway".

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got time to pull my pulley off and it's not even a clutch pulley for my 400 amp alternator. I'm wondering if this was changed out at a point? Should I replace with same or look for correct clutch pulley?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got time to pull my pulley off and it's not even a clutch pulley for my 400 amp alternator. I'm wondering if this was changed out at a point? Should I replace with same or look for correct clutch pulley?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I am not 100% sure, but i believe the 400 amps generator is a no clutch pulley vs the 200 amp clutch pulley. Just checking both as i have them, also the 200 amps pulley seems to be bigger in diameter than the one in the 400 amps. Once again, this is a vissual assumption on the diameter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some do some don't have the clutch pulley, IIRC they are about $5-700 bucks for one
I am not 100% sure, but i believe the 400 amps generator is a no clutch pulley vs the 200 amp clutch pulley. Just checking both as i have them, also the 200 amps pulley seems to be bigger in diameter than the one in the 400 amps. Once again, this is a vissual assumption on the diameter.
The reason the 400A pulley is smaller is because they are overdriving the crud out of it so it will produce as much as possible at near idle, not good for the alt and not good for fuel economy, those trucks were meant to basically sit in one spot being a power source.
That and a couple other reasons many dump the 400A and fit a 200A unit.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some do some don't have the clutch pulley, IIRC they are about $5-700 bucks for one

The reason the 400A pulley is smaller is because they are overdriving the crud out of it so it will produce as much as possible at near idle, not good for the alt and not good for fuel economy, those trucks were meant to basically sit in one spot being a power source.
That and a couple other reasons many dump the 400A and fit a 200A unit.
Yes, the are pricey, that is the reason i was asking on another thread about a fix for the clutch. I would not mind installing a 400 amps pulley on my 200 amps spare. Better than paying premium for the clutch pulley in my opinion.

coachgeo

Yes, the are pricey, that is the reason i was asking on another thread about a fix for the clutch. I would not mind installing a 400 amps pulley on my 200 amps spare. Better than paying premium for the clutch pulley in my opinion.
what activates the clutch? Is it electrical clutch?? if so is there sensors that when alt. to hot.... or draging engine down at bad times (say acceleration?) where clutch gets deactivated? Or is it a clutch just to prevent reverse direction like on some Air. Con compressors??

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you want to overdrive your alt? they make regular size non clutch type pulleys for the 200A some have the freewheeling clutch and some don't.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what activates the clutch? Is it electrical clutch?? if so is there sensors that when alt. to hot.... or draging engine down at bad times (say acceleration?) where clutch gets deactivated? Or is it a clutch just to prevent reverse direction like on some Air. Con compressors??
It is an overruuning clutch so when you shut the motor off the alt freewheels and does not cause the belt to squeak, it is automatic requiring no control or electricity

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The undersize pulley also causes an error in the tach if you have one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks