• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 hz

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When you use AC power the cycles indicate the passing through zero and to the opposite charge. 60 HZ is fine for us humans since we do not detect this on and off and on cycle 60 times a second. The military went to 400 HZ because the time at zero is shorter between cycles and electronics like this smoother AC especially if you are rectifing the AC to DC it produces a smoother pulsed DC current.

rdixiemiller

You can use the 400Hz stuff for incandescent lights. I believe flourescents will digest it as well, and produce less hum and heat. If you are making DC, a 400Hz generator would be nice.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are into military radios, there are a lot of aircraft type radio gear that runs on 400hz. You can use it to power your aircraft radios. Ham radio operators that are into the WWII and 1950s-1960s ARC-5, ART-13s, BC-648s, ARC-58s, and other rigs would love to have this genset.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful with old-skool flourescents, monitor the temperature of the ballasts. The electronic balasts may be ok but the inductive ones can be problematic since they have a certain impedance and reactance depending on the power line frequency. The inductance in series with the lamp is to limit the current. At 400Hz, the current may be so much more limited that the emission-heated cathodes or filaments of the lamps will not have enough current to keep them hot. I've used the screw-in flourescent 'light bulbs' (electronically ballasted) on 400Hz and 800Hz for several hundred hours with no ill effects.

The best advantages of 400Hz power are that the transformers and filtering inductors for it are much smaller and lighter in weight than 60Hz counterparts (about 1/3 to 1/6 the volume/weight) and the capacitors used for filtering in power supplies are also requiring much less capacitance and therefore smaller. If for example you need a 1000uF capacitor in a 60Hz application a 150uF unit will do the same for 400Hz.

You can run some transformer-input power supplies on 400Hz at reduced ratings, -monitor the transformer temperature because depending on the constructuion, it may be quicker to heat up or suffer increased core losses (extra heating caused by the more rapid reversal of the polarity). Most switching power supplies will run just fine such as in computers and the like, but in saying this, I assume no responsibility for any 4th of july celebrations.

How much do they want for it?

mangus580

RE: MEP-021A

I am pretty sure the A is the points engine, and the C is the electronic ingition engine.

I have a MEP-021... was trying to fire it up last night to power my halogen lamps for splitting some firewood.... Have I mentioned how I hate 'wrap & hope' engines? Yanno where ya wrap the rope, and hope it starts??

The carb on all these small Mil Std engines are a crummy design. Every one I have, wont start if it sits for any time...

Oh well.... I can always dream of a diesel ;-)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MEP-021A

400Hz came about for things that fly. Any electric motor or transformer will be an order of magnitude smaller and lighter for 400 than 60 hz.

i.e., a one horse 400HZ motor is about the size of the old quart oil can, and will have a shaft speed of around 5,200 rpm.

As stated before, a lot of mil commo gear has commonality with aircraft radios hence the need for that power freq. Also, it is a lot lighter to pack & haul.

dg

NEIOWA

Assuming good genset but has a 400hz generator. Is it possible (economically) to modify for 60hz output. Rewind the generator or ______? ?

Have a local fire dept that received a pair of nice 60Kw 400hz gensets (MEP115A). My recommendation is to strip out/sell the engines and sent the rest back to sam.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
IIRC some, but not all, of the expansible vans are set up for 400 HZ.

David (I wish I was as good as I once was) Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am thinking that the 400 hz exapando van may have been the Ford 8x8 expansible van used as battery control for the Pershing missile system.....will add this to the things to refresh my memory about.

DD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks