• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 sb Chevy in XM 708

JimC2

My brother is fixing to junk an old Chevy pickup that has a freshly overhauled 400 small block in it.

I'm thinking about pulling the 230 out of my 708 and doing a fully reversible installation of the 400. It would be an even easier install than the big block Chevy that I put in my 37. No modifications to frame or body are required.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

JimC2

There were 192 built. 11 that still exist (maybe 12). I've owned this one for 42 years. Both are reasons why I specified a completely reversible installation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the proposed gain or goal? Will it be temporary during a facory engine rebuild? Driveability gains?

JimC2

Probably no harder on the axle shafts than the big block Chevy that I put in my 37 about 45 years ago.
The bbc has given the 37 a considerable improvement in driveability in the mud, and axles have not been a problem so far, knock wood.

I would hope that the 400 would have a similar effect. Would you expect it to create more problems than the bbc?

xm708

Jim

As you know I have one of the few left and I would not hesitate to repower if it did not damage the truck to be brought back to original.. It is your truck do what you want to do to it... I believe yours is on my list of 12 or so known to exist..

xm708

Oshkosh an xm708 is a m37 built as a factory dump truck. There were about 198 made.. look to the left at my avatar that's an xm708 dump...

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

I think that per the regs that single ownership is limited to 40 years. Contact me if you would like to be compliant.:)

I say go for it if it won't hurt anything.