• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400A Manual Transfer switch?

syspig

I've tracked down a nice 802a. However, the installation I'd like to do isn't very typical from what I've seen.

We've what is referred to as a 320 service, not sure how common that is outside of the Olympic Peninsula where we reside. In the middle of our yard is a transformer, 5' away from our meter on a pedestal. The meter has two feeds - one to the house, one to the shop. Each structure is about 150' away from the meter, with each feed going to a 200A panel. Neither structure uses anywhere near that load, all relatively new construction and very efficient.

Still, even though our critical loads should easily be met by the 802a - it's basically a 400A service at the meter. I've been told by a local electrician friend if we hook up there, we'll need a 400A transfer switch.

A quick Google search is giving me serious sticker shock. For 400A transfer switches, I'm seeing new units ranging from $1700 - $5,000 and beyond.

Manual is fine, as we'll be manually turning off non-critical circuits at each structure prior to cutting over to generator power anyway. We're trying to keep this as cheap and non-complicated as possible, but some of the transfer switch prices I'm seeing are greater than the generator cost!

Perhaps I'm just searching on the wrong terms? Any pointers to solutions that are more reasonably priced?

Thanks.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tracked down a nice 802a. However, the installation I'd like to do isn't very typical from what I've seen.

We've what is referred to as a 320 service, not sure how common that is outside of the Olympic Peninsula where we reside. In the middle of our yard is a transformer, 5' away from our meter on a pedestal. The meter has two feeds - one to the house, one to the shop. Each structure is about 150' away from the meter, with each feed going to a 200A panel. Neither structure uses anywhere near that load, all relatively new construction and very efficient.

Still, even though our critical loads should easily be met by the 802a - it's basically a 400A service at the meter. I've been told by a local electrician friend if we hook up there, we'll need a 400A transfer switch.

A quick Google search is giving me serious sticker shock. For 400A transfer switches, I'm seeing new units ranging from $1700 - $5,000 and beyond.

Manual is fine, as we'll be manually turning off non-critical circuits at each structure prior to cutting over to generator power anyway. We're trying to keep this as cheap and non-complicated as possible, but some of the transfer switch prices I'm seeing are greater than the generator cost!

Perhaps I'm just searching on the wrong terms? Any pointers to solutions that are more reasonably priced?

Thanks.
Maybe you don't need a transfer switch at all? Why not feed the panel from the generator through a 50 amp breaker? Turn the main off and the 50A on when you need the generator.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you don't need a transfer switch at all? Why not feed the panel from the generator through a 50 amp breaker? Turn the main off and the 50A on when you need the generator.
Would require a mechanical interlock if they are allowed in your area.
Locks out utility service when generator breaker is closed.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Would require a mechanical interlock if they are allowed in your area.
Locks out utility service when generator breaker is closed.
It might look something like this. The upper “yellow”switch is the main on my 200 amp service panel. The 60 amp breaker is for my generator supply. I can only turn on the generator breaker if the main is turned off. Commonly called an interlock.

Attachments

syspig

That would technically work, but unless I'm missing something it would be even more expensive and complicated.

In order to supply both structures, the generator needs to sit between them. If a 400A transfer switch is in place at the meter, the two feeds already exist to each structure and would be downstream of the transfer switch. So, meter --> transfer switch --> two 200A feeds.

There is currently no switch at the meter, and no switches on the feeds from it to the two structures. Power comes from the transformer, to the meter, then two feeds go to each structure. All of this is contained within sealed utility boxes. All main shutoffs are at the service entrance to each structure in their respective panels.

So, absent connecting the generator via a transfer switch at the meter location - I'd need two new trenches dug and duplicate cable feeds run to each structure. That's 150' trench plus cable to one structure, 170' trench plus cable to the other.

Perhaps I didn't explain things clearly before. Does that above make sense? Or am I missing something with the option you are suggesting?

syspig

I have almost the same here.

Generator connection choices | SteelSoldiers

A behind the collar unit, a Interlock in your panel

If you have a "Main Brand Panel" you should find a listed interlock kit. Then supply what size breakers you want, wire size accordingly, and input receiver. Wires accordingly and plug on the end to plug into your house.
Now that looks promising!

Thanks - I'm going to pass that along to my electrician. Hopefully it's something we can work with here, it looks very straightforward.

sliderhd

i have a similar setup problem. Power comes into a transformer in the yard. Right beside the transformer is the distribution panel. It contains two 200 amp breaker supplies. One goes to the house and the other goes to my shop. One problem with this is my well pump is fed from my shop. I looked at the Generlink but it only has a 30 and 40 amp size units. One of those would have been sssoooo mmuucchh easier!! I settled on a manual transfer switch. I just have not had time to install it yet. attached is pix of the distribution panel. Immediately to the right is the meter base. IMG_1731.JPGIMG_1735.JPG

loosegravel

i have a similar setup problem. Power comes into a transformer in the yard. Right beside the transformer is the distribution panel. It contains two 200 amp breaker supplies. One goes to the house and the other goes to my shop. One problem with this is my well pump is fed from my shop. I looked at the Generlink but it only has a 30 and 40 amp size units. One of those would have been sssoooo mmuucchh easier!! I settled on a manual transfer switch. I just have not had time to install it yet. attached is pix of the distribution panel. Immediately to the right is the meter base. View attachment 887543View attachment 887544
I just sold a 804A 15KW unit to a guy up in Issaquah, Washington. He has a business with 3 phase power. For some reason he quite frequently loses one leg of power to his shop. When this happens, customers vehicles become stuck on the lifts until the power is restored. He Se the reason that he needs the back-up power. He has no less than 3 different panels in his shop, maybe 4. When ever I sell these generators I always list somewhere that “I’m not an electrician, please consult with one for your personal power needs.” I’m a mechanic who has become very intrigued with these units. They are amazing machines. But, I have a huge amount of respect for electricity and those who know how to harness it. This gentleman has a personal electrician that he called in to help him connect this generator to his shop. I suspect that he will only be able to power some of his 3 phase shop, but not all of it with this 15KW back-up unit.

loosegravel

I just sold a 804A 15KW unit to a guy up in Issaquah, Washington. He has a business with 3 phase power. For some reason he quite frequently loses one leg of power to his shop. When this happens, customers vehicles become stuck on the lifts until the power is restored. He Se the reason that he needs the back-up power. He has no less than 3 different panels in his shop, maybe 4. When ever I sell these generators I always list somewhere that “I’m not an electrician, please consult with one for your personal power needs.” I’m a mechanic who has become very intrigued with these units. They are amazing machines. But, I have a huge amount of respect for electricity and those who know how to harness it. This gentleman has a personal electrician that he called in to help him connect this generator to his shop. I suspect that he will only be able to power some of his 3 phase shop, but not all of it with this 15KW back-up unit.
I would also suspect that he will first need to shut down the remaining 2 legs of main power that are still live before switching over to generator power. Again, I’m not sure because it’s not my forte’.

syspig

I have a good 400A manual transfer unenclosed switch you can have for the shipping from 85139. You would have to get an NEMA 3 box if used outdoors, NEMA 1 if indoors.
Wow - what a nice offer!

I'll gladly take you up on that. I'm having trouble sending you a PM, perhaps because this is a new account - but I'll reach out to the support folks here and figure that out.

Thanks much! Trust I'll pay it forward with generosity elsewhere.

sliderhd

I have the knowledge to install it with 40+ years working in a power plant. But I have a good friend who has the proper license that I am gonna pay to do it. It requires pulling the meter and having the utility present.

syspig

Just an FYI for anyone following along here in WA State - my electrician was pointed towards this thread for feedback. He advised WA State does not allow the "behind the meter" interconnect solutions like those from GenerLink and others. That's unfortunate, as they look to be an easy and relatively inexpensive option for many.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks