• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400amp to 200amp swap

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone swapped their 400amp generator for the 200amp? What’s needed and how do you do it? I believe I have a bad voltage regulator on my 400amp generator and I don’t want to put anymore money into it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need Mounting brackets as they are different. The 200 amp install kit are all over ebay. They typically come with wiring also. I suspect battery cables are the same as 400 but regulator harness might be different as a different plug possibly ? but I am not familiar with 400amp set up. I suspect belt is also different. You would need to make sure the 200 amp niehoff has the correct pulley for your application serpentine vs v-belt.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the 400A has a larger charging (28V) cable than the 200A but should work fine, the ign. sense, AC and 14V wires should also work fine, you should just need the brackets and pulley, maybe a different serpentine belt.
the regulators are mounted to the alt so that wiring will be already correct.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the 400A has a larger charging (28V) cable than the 200A but should work fine, the ign. sense, AC and 14V wires should also work fine, you should just need the brackets and pulley, maybe a different serpentine belt.
the regulators are mounted to the alt so that wiring will be already correct.
I was thinking the pulley off the 400amp should work on the 200amp

Brice63281

Maxjeep1- Did you ever get this resolved? I'm hoping I can learn from your experience.

I just received my (not currently running) 1151A1 from GovPlanet and it came with the 400amp alternator but they removed the voltage regulator. I am trying to decide if I am going to spend $400 on a new regulator for the 400 amp or downsize to the 200amp alternator. I don't need the 400 amp power and I am not even 100% sure this one is functional. I also don't know if I will be able to find a reasonable priced 200 amp complete alternator and brackets.

I was just hoping to get another perspective on which way to go. This is obviously my first post so I am open to any suggestions or input.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maxjeep1- Did you ever get this resolved? I'm hoping I can learn from your experience.

I just received my (not currently running) 1151A1 from GovPlanet and it came with the 400amp alternator but they removed the voltage regulator. I am trying to decide if I am going to spend $400 on a new regulator for the 400 amp or downsize to the 200amp alternator. I don't need the 400 amp power and I am not even 100% sure this one is functional. I also don't know if I will be able to find a reasonable priced 200 amp complete alternator and brackets.

I was just hoping to get another perspective on which way to go. This is obviously my first post so I am open to any suggestions or input.
I couldn’t find a voltage regulator for 400.00.
I really want to do the 200amp swap but I don’t know what I will need to change as far as brackets and wiring. I probably won’t have the 1,200 to get a 200amp generator until the 1st. I need tires also and I’m broke.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see them for under a grand on fleabay, you should only need the brackets, the wiring should be OK, I was looking at some pics of a 400A setup and it looks like they actually added another high current wire to the battery box for a total of two 28V leads, the "extra" one should be easy to spot and remove, other than that the wiring should be the same.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try and get it running first, that will give you some time to shop for an alternator and tires, also you may need that money for things like a replacement IP etc.
Do not forget to change ALL the fluids and filters.
EDIT, just tape up the leads that would be going to the regulator so they do not short, you can run the truck it will just not charge.

Reactions: OBX

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try and get it running first, that will give you some time to shop for an alternator and tires, also you may need that money for things like a replacement IP etc.
EDIT, just tape up the leads that would be going to the regulator so they do not short, you can run the truck it will just not charge.
Mine runs it just needs a tire. I found a 200amp generator from a member here but I can’t afford it this month. I need to look into the brackets and what else it will take.

Brice63281

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if I could safely run it without the voltage regulator hooked up or not. They also kept my oil dipstick so I am waiting on the new one to show up so I can check to make sure there is no water in the oil. I didn't want to do an oil change if there was an issue already. They robbed it pretty good for parts so I am trying to get it to the point I can try to get it started. The good news, it has brand new tires so that is one good thing....

And a dumb question- what is an IP?

Brice63281

I couldn’t find a voltage regulator for 400.00.
I really want to do the 200amp swap but I don’t know what I will need to change as far as brackets and wiring. I probably won’t have the 1,200 to get a 200amp generator until the 1st. I need tires also and I’m broke.
Thanks for the update. I am just getting started so I appreciate your help.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if I could safely run it without the voltage regulator hooked up or not. They also kept my oil dipstick so I am waiting on the new one to show up so I can check to make sure there is no water in the oil. I didn't want to do an oil change if there was an issue already. They robbed it pretty good for parts so I am trying to get it to the point I can try to get it started. The good news, it has brand new tires so that is one good thing....

And a dumb question- what is an IP?
The injection pump, seems there have been quite a few bad ones on the non runners lately

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks