• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

42 Sterling?

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Rednine, thanks for all the pictures. These trucks are definitely the Sterling DDS150 rated at 7-1/2 tons , I think. It is not one of the C-2 type airfield wreckers, and it is an entirely different model than the DDS235 like the Stuart wrecker. I believe these trucks were built for the Navy, and that they were used as torpedo handlers. Take a close look at the body in the factory photo again. I'm sending you a PM.

Edit: I have just come across some info that says these trucks went to the U.S. Navy Bureau of Ordnance.

Sterling DDS150 6x6 torpedo crane DM.jpg

Last edited:

steelypip

Too cool for words. Not only did I learn about trucks I didn't know existed, I learned about a type of truck I didn't know existed (a torpedo crane). I frankly never knew how they got torpedos aboard fleet subs in WWII, but it makes sense that such a beast would be needed. Somebody has to save these things from the tin worm. Paint it haze gray, put dummy torpedos on the bed, and confuse everybody but the submariners when you drive it in the July 4th parade.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

A friend sent me this right side factory photo of the DDS150. It is from Ernest Sternberg's "History of Sterling Trucks". Sternberg was the nephew of Sterling's founder and was a Sterling engineer from the '40's up to the end in 1953. I had not seen this photo before today.

Sterling_DDS150_Torpedo_Carrier WR resize.jpg

Last edited:

nhs275

A fourth 'model' Navy Sterling

There is a fourth model WWII Navy Sterling truck, the DD115. I own one, or rather most of one, thanks to ebay. Here is a link to pictures of it, a brochure of the civilian post-war version of it, and a WWII parts list found 20+ years ago in an antique store by a friend. For all that time he didn't know what this parts book was for until this truck was hauled home, and when he looked at the serial number, it 'clicked' with the serial number list in the parts book. How cool is that - serendipity.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qefs8geup71zkr0/dygDEvqJXQ

I'm interested in any photographs anybody might have of this type of truck in use. It is a short 2-axle tractor - the brackets on the back of the cab are to stow the air brake hose ends. A logger cut the frame apart and 'added' frame from another truck. All that can be restored as there isn't anything missing from the original frame - cut out the add-on and weld the original sections back together.

My brother and I have worked on it some - it has three stuck valves and a low oil pressure problem. This is going to be an interesting combination of complex woodworking, sheet metal and general mechanical restoration to get this truck back to life - lots of fun.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nhs275, thanks for posting. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. At least you don't have to find some kind of rare wrecker boom or body for it. That cab will be quite a project to fix. Keep us posted on the progress.

nhs275

Thanks NDT. Having a parts book for the truck is very helpful since the manufacturer and manufacturer's part numbers are listed for those items not made by Sterling. The hardest part of this is going to be the wood and the sheetmetal work. Despite the horrendous condition of the cab etc., I don't think it has that many miles on it. For example the rear brake drums have Navy gray paint still on them (so probably the original drums), and there is no wear ledge on the inside from the brake shoes. The steering has no backlash despite having six ball joints. Dave

Jeff Lakaszcyck

NHS275, congratulations on your Sterling. I remember seeing that truck for sale a while back, I'm glad it went to a good home. It is very cool that it still has some of the Navy markings on it. Your DD115 is somewhat unique as far as Sterling military all wheel drives go, as it was also built as a civilian model. I don't know which came first, civilian or military. I have some info that indicates the DD115 was first built from 1941 to 1943, and then production resumed again after the war from 1948 to 1952. However I have no idea of numbers. As I'm sure you know Sterling's production was small, with the all wheel drives a very small part of the lineup. I have a photo of a DD115 dump truck and a spec sheet, if you have not already seen them. Send me a PM as I may have some other info for you.

DD115_Military_Version.jpg

Sterling_DD115_Four_Wheel_Drive_Motor_Trucks_p4_1947 resize.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks