• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

45K Rear Winch on M931A2?

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever installed a 45k rear winch off a M936A2 on the rear of a M931A2? Just wanting to see if there are any out there? I have to do some more precise measuring to see if it will even fit. What are your thoughts on moving the fifth wheel back? Just doing some rough measuring it looks like I may have to slide it to the rear a bit. Any input would be appreciated.

Artisan

Moving a 5th wheel plate anywhere other than original
design can make big problems. A 5th wheel is supposed to be
centered on or just forward of the center of the 2 rear axles so weight
it distributed property for BRAKING mostly, as I understand it.

To far forward puts excessive weight on the front axle, to far rearwards
will make the front end float and loose braking power.

Also, look at the frame on the doner truck, is it a double frame or
a much more robust frame? a 45K winch is a MONSTER.

lakydna has a good idea or just mount the winch up front. I have used a winch
on the front to back me up, just run the cable under the truck and pull.!

PTO, oil tank, levers ... = a lot of work. I know a guy who has an
M920 and an M919 for sale, if your interested PM me.

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for input. I bought M936 for front and rear winch for my 931a2. I might just put 20k on rear to pull things on trailer. Not real sure right now. I am not interested in moving 5th wheel really. I am gonna have to add hydraulics for one winch regardless. Gonna use tc mounted pto off wrecker. Just trying to get some opinions from some guys that have been around it all.

This is on my M52a2 the winch is from a m816 with this set up I have 5 speeds to pay off cable and 1 speed to rewind cable (reverse) in the transmission its slow but for pulling something on the trailer it's fine .I can pull this trailer m269 and a m131a5c tanker any square nose trailer I can't pull .

Attachments

R Racing

here ya go !! It was before I had put the 1600s on. I removed the spacer blocks. Moved it back 14 or 14.5 inches . Redrilled the mounting holes. And also shortened the ramps to match.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is on my M52a2 the winch is from a m816 with this set up I have 5 speeds to pay off cable and 1 speed to rewind cable (reverse) in the transmission its slow but for pulling something on the trailer it's fine .I can pull this trailer m269 and a m131a5c tanker any square nose trailer I can't pull .
You got any pictures of how you mounted the winch? Want to take the winch from a m925 and Mount it like this on my m931.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here ya go !! ....... I removed the spacer blocks......... Moved it back 14 or 14.5 inches . Redrilled the mounting holes. And also shortened the ramps to match.
You are lucky - I have a 916A1 and there are no spacer blocks so I'll have to add 14" to the RGN of my lowboy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks