• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

47,000 miles?

acthomp781

Hello. The odometer states 47,*** miles, I am inclined to think it is 147,***. Based on these pics, what do you all think? Thank you for the replies. The rust behind the pass seat is, I think, from the antenna hole being left open.DSCN2489.jpgDSCN2484.jpgDSCN2493.jpgDSCN2491.jpgDSCN2492.jpgDSCN2483.jpgDSCN2486.jpgDSCN2501.jpgDSCN2488.jpg

cucvrus

I think it looks like 47K miles. it is is great shape for a 30 year old truck. It appears to have the original paint and is un molested. I would fix only what is needed to be fixed and call it a day. How does it run and drive?

acthomp781

It drives great. I think it is still losing prime, I removed the FP switch and tapped the hole and put a screw in it. But after it sat a day in my driveway I had to bleed the filter again. It has been converted to 12v, I am going to switch it back to 24v.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going with 147,000 miles. It's a guess, but check out the brake pedal. It looks like the rubber is worn through. I have a 1997 Chevy diesel crew cab that has 83,000 miles, and the pedal doesn't look anywhere near as worn as the one in the picture. The rust, in and of itself, does not say anything to me though, as far as mileage is concerned. The brake pedal is a dead giveaway...but more importantly, I'd judge it on how tight the steering feels and other indicators (e.g., any blow by, etc.). Regardless of whether it is 147K miles or 47K...if it runs well, shifts well, and stops, you have yourself a good truck. Some on here have commented (recent posts on an old thread on towing with a CUCV) that these trucks rarely see 200K or higher miles. I have heard of guys getting 300K+ out of their trucks. A guy I used to know (named Ernie from the South Jersey MVPA...not the older guy, but his grandson) had something like that on an M1009. Good luck with the truck!

cucvrus

My M1009 Mule has 101,000 on the chassis. it had 17 K on it when I bought it. The brake pedal rubber has been worn thru since 60K. 60K in 27 years is a lot of braking action on and off the pedal. A newer truck with 300K has less braking action then one with less mileage that is much older. You can't run up high mileage riding the brakes. That requires staying off the brakes and on the throttle. The throttle pedals never show wear. Nice truck. Easy fix on the body and a mild touch up. Restique is what they call it. Retains more value by not hiding the puss.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an M1028A2 dually that I bought from a fellow member that had a decent rubber pad on the pedal that did not look replaced. Who really knows, though. Still, I believed the mileage...93,000 showing...based upon everything else about the truck. The engine was clean, the seat showed no wear (if anything might tell me this guy's truck is low mileage, it is the driver's seat, which shows little wear), the transmission shifted firmly and correctly, the engine had power, no blow by. On my truck, I thought it had highway mileage based upon the overall condition...but, again, who knows. This guy's truck could be a 47K mile truck or it could be a 147K mile truck. At some point, it does not matter. If it runs well, I hope he enjoys it.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an M1028a2 years back that actually had 54 , yes, only 54 miles on it. Unfortunately it had been used as a parts truck. Currently have an m1031 with only 2600 miles on it that spent the last 16 years at a Prison as a plow truck. So anything is possible.

I also think that this truck truly is 47,000. Depending on where you live or how you want to treat the truck, a few cans of rust converter paint, a wire wheel and some elbo grease goes a long way to make all those body parts last. I also pray my underside with cosmoline for added corrosion resistance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks