• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

47 vs 49's

MrArmyAnt

Anyone have pictures of deuces with each or maybe side by side? Trying to figure out if I want to run 47's while its a 6x6 then just have two spares or get 4 49's and do the bob right away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, I have been running 395s for a couple years, NDTs can go the same places. The only advantage is speed and ride quality. The radials might have an advantage on wet pavement.

spicergear

Well, gimp and I are gonna have to agree to disagree on that. NDT's will get you stuck on wet leaves. 395's...I have direct experience with XML (and love them) will get into a lot of places NDT's won't. The difference in traction and footprint size is impressive.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ran the xml first and am running the xzl now. I DO need to state that the tire pressures were lowered for traction on the ndts, but they went where we went on the trails. I probably wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there, but I saw it myself.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran the xml first and am running the xzl now. I DO need to state that the tire pressures were lowered for traction on the ndts, but they went where we went on the trails. I probably wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there, but I saw it myself.
tire pressure can make a big difference

A/C arn't those off CARNACS new M60 project?

Last edited:

Jimma

I got my 395's mounted on my rims this weekend and I am excited to see how they will look on one of my trucks. They sure look cool compared to those 9x20's.

A

A/C Cages

Those are Titan Tires made for Canadas oil sands mines. They are the Titan 63s Worlds largest production tire. Not the largest tire, just production tire.

Jimma

The stock deuce rims. Didnt have the extra change to get anything else right now. I took them to a tire shop and let them break down the old ones, clean the rims, put new larger tubes in them with flaps and mount the tires. The first one was so fast and simple and fit perfect without any pressure or stress. The next three took some persuasion to squeeze them down and get the lock ring on. They fit however and look good. The tire shop charged $30 each to break down the old 9x20's and clean the rims and install the new ones. Tubes were extra. My next project is to put them on my truck after we bob it in two weeks. I will take some pics of the tires and rims and post them.

emr

I LOVE NDTCC s get us stuck, well they sure do ... but its driver error... sorry but true.... :) simple tire rule, as true today as it ever was, tall narrow tire good mud and snow, big wide tire good rocks and sand, there are tires that cross lines but for most of that it is the driver, and vehicle . directionals go farther in one direction, all simple all fact, properly airing tires for what u are going thru makes all the difference. ndt tires are and always have been awesome, they have stood the test of time longer than any other, there are better tires today, but again ndt tires are incredibly strong and have great traction ... in fact if U want those big radials and want to over load your truck U are asking for sidewall failure, ndts are strong enough to run fully loaded down to like 15 lbs of air, they are awesome. and yes the sidewall failure in fully loaded trucks in service is true , most in state s trucks that run loaded were changed back to a deul set up, most of the time it was the g177s , now im talking 5 tons here, Oh and why do military trucks run these bigger wider tires ? well yup because we fight in mostly sand and rocks.

MrArmyAnt

I LOVE NDTCC s get us stuck, well they sure do ... but its driver error... sorry but true.... :) simple tire rule, as true today as it ever was, tall narrow tire good mud and snow, big wide tire good rocks and sand, there are tires that cross lines but for most of that it is the driver, and vehicle . directionals go farther in one direction, all simple all fact, properly airing tires for what u are going thru makes all the difference. ndt tires are and always have been awesome, they have stood the test of time longer than any other, there are better tires today, but again ndt tires are incredibly strong and have great traction ... in fact if U want those big radials and want to over load your truck U are asking for sidewall failure, ndts are strong enough to run fully loaded down to like 15 lbs of air, they are awesome. and yes the sidewall failure in fully loaded trucks in service is true , most in state s trucks that run loaded were changed back to a deul set up, most of the time it was the g177s , now im talking 5 tons here, Oh and why do military trucks run these bigger wider tires ? well yup because we fight in mostly sand and rocks.
Now if that's a rules for deuces, maybe, but I know in the off road world you want to increase the contact patch. When large enough it keeps the vehicle from sinking. Skinny tire can sink to firmer ground but if you are in an area that the soft stuff or snow is deeper than your tires you are pretty much sol. Airing down gives a larger deformable contact patch.

Again, I don't know for deuces but in my experience from mud drags, river drags, and the collegiate SAE Mini Baja stuff I have done, wider is better.

Flat Black

from almost 20 years of off roading in a little of everything, an NDT type of tire is pure garbage. Its 60 year old technology -- look at the tread pattern, not much of one there. Im not saying you cant drive down a dirt road with them or even do some mild off roading, but look at ANY modern off road tire and you will see that no one makes or uses a tall narrow off road tread tire or NDT type of tire. Now Im sure someone will go and find me one just bc i said that, but pick up a diesel or off road mag and read through the ad pages, look at tire tests online, on TV and in mags, go to an off road competition or expedition vehicle show, truck sled pull or rock race and look around. The exception may be a rice and cane type of tire for super deep mud with high HP drivetrain to turn them, but that is definitely the exception.

Why dig your tires into the dirt/grass/mud/snow/sand when you can have a big fat footprint with plenty of traction, less impact on the terrain and make it easier on you and your truck? Also if you do run a skinny tire and get stuck, now you are buried to your axles or hubs in a 13K truck. Trust me, floating is better....

I have run radial Swampers down to 6 psi without beadlocks and never lost a tire, though they usually run between 8-10 psi on trails rated 7-8 on a scale of 1-10.

So if you arent rock crawling and you arent mud bogging and you dont have huge HP to turn big tires, you need a medium sized tire that fits the terrain you will be on, air it down some for better floatation, have proper gearing (dont use 44" tires with a 4.10 ring gear) and you will get through almost any obstacle. Throw the NDTs in the trash or keep them for the milveh shows or parades, they are not for serious off roading.

Last edited:

rlwm211

I was reading a story about the DUKW's
hauling supplies up onshore at Iwo and they
normally would run the pressures at 7 psi in sand,
but the sand was so fine that they had to go
down to 5 psi to keep from getting stuck heading up the beach.
NDTs are very adaptable depending on how you use them.
The idea of reduced inflation would not be made part
of the tactical rubber tired vehicles in use today by the military
if it was not a viable way to improve off road
performance in difficult conditions.

Wider tires are definitely better in terms of flotation at the outset,
but I know that if the stock NDTs are used as the
Operator manual indicates you should,
they are still quite capable.

RL

rlwm211

I stand corrected....I do recall that the inflation was a serious issue and that lowering pressures did improve floatation and overall ability to negotiate very loose soils. This was on a History channel show about the DUKW with Veteran's speaking about the truck and its versatility.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks