• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

48 Dodge Ambulance "Camper"

m109guy

I found this ad in the classifieds.

The guy says it "was" a 1948 Dodge Ambulance that was professionally converted into a camper over in Europe in 1958.

The guy wants an insane $6500 for it with a blown engine. He even goes on to say that you can find a replacement engine very easily, as if everyone has one sitting around. And in one place he states that it has 1/4" steel walls which make it "bulletproof".

Looks horrible yet he states that he has spent thousands of dollars upgrading the thing. Maybe he spent that type of money on it over the 12years that he has owned it, but you can clearly see from the pictures that it is currently in very bad shape. From the one inside picture, you can even get a look at the professional wiring job (a power bar on the wall with extension cords going everywhere).

Sad fate for what was once a nice truck.

Here is the text of the ad (as the ad will one day disappear and I am saving it by posting it and the pictures).

Hello I have a 48 Dodge Army ambulance Converted to motor home by Citreon from france in 58 A museum on wheels. I have refurbished alot of it , and have alot invested into it. A motor home inspector put 6,500 in upgrades into it few years ago Motor HOme comes with trailer also I built a roof over the trailer to protect it but can be romoved is a secure cage with all titanium locks solid for zodiac and generator suplies was designed for that, 3 way fridge,low propane gravity furnace, sleeps two, cuboards put at vallue of 2,500, bullet proof solid steel, excellent carriage, new leaf shocks, bearings,have alot invested will accept what ask for as have much more into it, you will need to find new engine for it... also has all new 900-16 tires allaround and for trailer also and spare close too 3000 in tires and tubes alone and only used for one trip out west.... if interested do let me know just havent had the time for it... but I have no problem to keep it if dont bet get what I want for it as feel is rare vehicle with little work will be worth alot and is verry unique and fun to the back woods , and talking piece of history.. thank you good day...
1948 Dodge Army Abulance Converted By Citreon to Motor Home, - Ottawa Collector Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa

He posted it twice and here is the other ad he wrote which is somewhat different as he changed the amounts he says he spent on it. I blocked out his email address and telephone number as not to generate any negative feedback to him in the future:

Hello I have a 48 Dodge army ambulance converted in 58 to motorhome by citreon in France, has been refurbished by licensced motor home inspector .I have spent and can prove all receits, 7,500 on work done to outside and interiour.New 3 way fridge installed runs of propane. Low gravity propane furnace 8,500 btu worms well enough. cuboards and counter work vallue around 2,500 in vallue as mentiouned in estimate.Tires are 900 sixteen all new 2,800 includes all terrain trailer tires and spare 7 all new.It is a rare classic unique vehicle that you will never see again I have had it 12 years and enjoyed it well only l selling as need money otherwise I would keep as it does need engine was ruined by minute muffler in medicine hat I am selling as price stated is what is worth perhps is even worth much more, a engine is easy to find at any army place, but the m body is mint and interiour much potentioal to have a all terrain motor home can go anywhere and do antying a eye opener. has new leafs shocks, bearings and all that, brakes are good also, interiour is steel whole body is quarter inch stteel bullet proof, sliding doors, 3 way split rims, trailer included is worth 1500 or more is unique and rare also and is like a suitcase to lkeep valluables titanium locks and all hat that kept zodiac and valluable suplies init was built for that is about 8 feet long five feet high same rims and all.nw radiator 1500 cost also. It is a great vehicle and alot of fun to have I will add more what I done when have time but it is worth the price am asking...noless.....you may call me or email me at mailto:b********e@sympatico.ca if interested or call 761 **** during the morning after 10 if interested in it to talk...there is a canopy roll out vallue at 1000 so well there is alot did nt metn men tion a must see though great for hunting or many things is a museum on wheels... and gets alot alot of attention... can show jpics as soon as email thanks Bruce
48 Dodge Army Abmbulance,Converted by Citreon to class A Motorho - Ottawa Collector Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ottawa

Last edited:
Wonder how many miles he put on it in the 12 years? The pic by the tunnel looks like what many of us dreamed about when we first got into this hobby---roaming the country in a tough, go anywhere, surplus mv.

$6500 does seem high, and his description sounds like one of those scams from the internet. It'd be nice to see the trailer, too.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not to be nit-picky, but....oh, heck! Being nit-picky, there's no outfit called Citreon in France that I'm aware of, and I'm a car nut who spent 15 years in Europe. There is a French auto maanufacturer called Citroen, but they have never been in the business of converting surplus US military trucks into campers (or anything else). They could make and market their own product for less than the cost of the conversion. That said, the quality of workmanship on the conversion in the pictures is far worse than anything the rolks at Citroen would ever tolerate. Someone is merely trying to con the uninformed ignorami out of their hard-earned money. He should be ashamed. He should be VERY ashamed!!

tamangel

Seems I have seen an article on this truck before, quite a while back.. Was this style (high top) a specific variant of Military Power wagon? Command vehicle, radio vehicle, different type of ambulance, etc.. than what is normally seen.. sort of an M615 but taller or ?

I'll continue to look for the article..

Mike

found a few pics..

from this link:
carpenter54

and these:
Vintage Pictures

Boyertown Body Works, Boyertown Auto Body Works, Boyertown Carriage Works, Ltd., Paul R. Hafer, B. Frank Hafer, J. Sweinhart Carriage Works, Strunk and Fisher, Hartman and Strunk, F.H. Hartman, Boyertown Body and Equipment Co., Battronic Truck Corp.,

still looking for the camper article..

Attachments

Last edited:

m109guy

Yeah it is looking more and more like a civilian version of the truck. It may of made sense to simply alter a truck that was in mass production for the military into civilian use, rather that making something completely new.

Still a cool looking truck. Sadly it will likely rust to the ground, or one day get tow to the scrap yard. Unless he finds someone who really doesn't know anything and has money to burn, he is not going to sell it for that price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks