• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4a032 12 volt starters

SR71BLACKBIRD

Anyone needs a starter for 4a032 engine simply buy a ford probe 4 cylinder or some mazda starters. To fit the best take off the aluminum plate the starter mounts to and mill off .150' material so starter gear meshes deeper. I run one on mine and have bought some for 30 bucks on ebay.

oldflyboy

mdlbldrmatt135,do you know which model BMW? I have access to parts from a 2002 which is one of the older models. I have sized up the starter for a 929 Mazda and the holes will not line up for that.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mdlbldrmatt135,do you know which model BMW? I have access to parts from a 2002 which is one of the older models. I have sized up the starter for a 929 Mazda and the holes will not line up for that.
I found this over on smokestack.com .

[ Finished modifying and installing the BMW 318i starter this afternoon. It works perfectly with only minor modifications and is much easier to modify than the Mazda 626 starter.
A Lester number 17236 can only be used, as the sole difference is that the mounting holes on this unit are not threaded. This starter was used on 1991 to 1995 318's, 325's, and 525's.

Modification is easy. Simply drill out the two mounting holes with a 1/2" drill bit. That is all that's required! No milling or turning is required to get the right pinion engagement distance.

Mount the starter to the engine with 1.5" long 5/16-18 bolts, a pair of beefy flat washers, and a lock washer of your choice. You'll have to adjust the gear mesh a bit, as the 1/2" holes do give you a good bit of adjustment.

Initially, my pinion was too close to the ring gear so I had to move it out a little bit. It spins over nicely and sounds fine - certainly it sounds better than the starter on my lawn tracto
r ]

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64808

I got 4 of these gennys at auction last year but haven't had time to do much with them.

edit ; this is the information on the part # from the TM.

It looks like the
part # is MS53013-1 , the TM I have doesn't list a NSN#.

TM9-2805-259-24P
page 47/115

Last edited:

oldflyboy

Thanks Porkysplace,yes I have been very busy, we got it running by using another engine to turn it with a belt on the rope pull and after reading that a BMW 318i would work ordered one and got it in yesterday. We have not put it on yet but it should work perfectly. Also ordered a new carburetor for it. It runs good for having set outside for many years. The forum is right. It is VERY loud,hopefully a larger muffler will help that situation. With the fuel tank that we installed on it it should run about fifteen hours without refueling.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Porkysplace,yes I have been very busy, we got it running by using another engine to turn it with a belt on the rope pull and after reading that a BMW 318i would work ordered one and got it in yesterday. We have not put it on yet but it should work perfectly. Also ordered a new carburetor for it. It runs good for having set outside for many years. The forum is right. It is VERY loud,hopefully a larger muffler will help that situation. With the fuel tank that we installed on it it should run about fifteen hours without refueling.
If you get a chance post where you got it and the part numbers for future references on the site. You can also get a propane and natural gas conversion kit for these.
https://centuryfuelproducts.com/generators/conversion-kits/military-standard/mep-018a

oldflyboy

The Carburetor is on ebay right now for $29.95 from Glen's Surplus Sales,Inc,Shelby,OH, PN 79960,013620 and several other numbers. The starter is for a 95 BMW 318i and is available from Rock Auto PN17236N from Power Select for $63.79. The carburetor is Mil Surplus,in New condition from Zenith. Thanks for the link to Century Fuel Products we definitely plan to set it up on propane. Now if I can get it to output power reliably.I really appreciate all the responses from everyone.

The Carburetor is on ebay right now for $29.95 from Glen's Surplus Sales,Inc,Shelby,OH, PN 79960,013620 and several other numbers. The starter is for a 95 BMW 318i and is available from Rock Auto PN17236N from Power Select for $63.79. The carburetor is Mil Surplus,in New condition from Zenith. Thanks for the link to Century Fuel Products we definitely plan to set it up on propane. Now if I can get it to output power reliably.I really appreciate all the responses from everyone.

That carb is for the 2a042 & 4a084 engines, not the 1a08/2a016/4a032 family.......

oldflyboy

The engine in this MEP-018A is a 4A084 and the carburetor works. I did not realize this thread was originally for a 4A032 engine I was just following the bump.Sorry if I offended anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks