• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4A032 Carburetor Issue

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Searching previous threads, all 28 or so pages, about the 4A032 Military Standard Engine, I found a number of complaints regarding the carburetor float getting saturated with fuel and sticking, causing flooding. (I already know that Saturn Surplus has new carburetors for sale, but eventually these will fail also.)
One suggestion was to coat the float with an epoxy, another was to sand the float where it was likely to bind on the bowl housing, but apparently neither of these worked.

Has anyone come up with a working solution to this issue?

papercu

That is the nature of a float, best thing to help is just to run the tank dry so no fuel stays in the bowl but then that causes other problems.
Just buy a replacement carb from Saturn (that is a real bargain compared to govt. cost) you will probably get tired of the pull rope or paying the fuel bill before the next float goes bad. :-D Wayne

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny: Gotta love that truthful humor Wayne!

Scary thing is, I think the same way as Wayne. I've ordered a new carb but I'm determined to solve the problem. Mine is on a 175psi/15cfm compressor and runs real good for a while, then floods and shuts down. I figured I'd keep a spare carb on hand and can change it in five minutes if needed.

papercu

According to the TM they are a pull and toss item @ 350.00 ea!
While I hate to say it, the best small engine I've ever used was a little Honda on wheelbarrel type air compressor, I borrowed it from from a contractor and it had been well abused but as long as it had gas that sucker would crank on the first pull. Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to agree Wayne. Those little Honda's are a tough little engine. As the story goes, I bought a water buffalo (Thanks for the link Wayne) from GSA that had a small honda powered pump on the nose. The trailer had about 150 gallons of water on it. I added gas and after just a few pulls, it was pumping. The GSA folks said the trailer had been sitting for years and years in the FL keys. With all that said, I still like my 4A032 powered 3KW set.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No question, Honda's are great reliable engines. However, the 4A032-4 is a pretty cool, and interesting, piece of machinery, and I try my best to keep all of my equipment original. Too bad they didn't have fuel injection!

m139h2otruck

All three of the little engines in this series use the same carb, and they all are a problem. The fit of the float inside the bowel is so tight, that only a little swelling will cause it to stick open and flood the engine. We did the sanding fix on one 2 cylinder engine and coated the float on the 4 cylinder. So far it has worked, as long as you run out the fuel from the carb when you shut down. The 4 cylinder has an electric starter so it is not a problem, but the 2 cylinder gen sets do take a lot of pulls to start when dry.

m139h2otruck

Not sure, have to find the tube and check. It was a sealer sold by local auto supply house that was gas proof, and looked like weather strip cement.

Keith_J

Well, I will have to try this. I have an MEP 026A with the type 4 engine that has electronic ignition, it starts fine but seems to flood. It has 12.2 hours on it since major overhaul. I would like to run propane but getting it proven on gasoline is important.

I have a 24 volt inverter, going to use the generator to supplement solar charge of a battery bank for standby power. As in the generator only runs when the battery bank needs charging.

citizensoldier

If someone could produce a non swelling replacement float for all these engines at a decent price they could sell a boatload of them !! I have the pumps, gensets, tent heaters, compressors, you name it!! All have the same problem sooner or later. Drain the gas does not work, like someone else mentioned it works for a while but eventually causes other issues. I would like a case of 50 floats when someone decides to make them.

oldmanwalt

NEW SOLUTION TO DREADED 4A032 FLOAT.... another forum had listed the 1951-1955 Mall Power Saw series 12A with the Tillotson ME 3A or 4A carb having a brass float identical to the cork dimensions of the 4A032. The Tillotson Float part numbers are 30-766,30-788 and 07804. M&D Mower and Appliance have these warehoused !!! How fortunate for us to find an obsolete item that will permanent fix the cork float problem...still being stocked!!! All that is needed is a filling of the tang to narrow it up for the bowl. No other mod needed. Here's the URL... https://www.m-and-d.com/solr/words/30-766.html $9.92 plus S and H.
Spread the word guys because there's a bunch out there to be saved and this may fix the 2A and others as well. Best of luck toy you all.

phil2968

NEW SOLUTION TO DREADED 4A032 FLOAT.... another forum had listed the 1951-1955 Mall Power Saw series 12A with the Tillotson ME 3A or 4A carb having a brass float identical to the cork dimensions of the 4A032. The Tillotson Float part numbers are 30-766,30-788 and 07804. M&D Mower and Appliance have these warehoused !!! How fortunate for us to find an obsolete item that will permanent fix the cork float problem...still being stocked!!! All that is needed is a filling of the tang to narrow it up for the bowl. No other mod needed. Here's the URL... https://www.m-and-d.com/solr/words/30-766.html $9.92 plus S and H.
Spread the word guys because there's a bunch out there to be saved and this may fix the 2A and others as well. Best of luck toy you all.
Sorry. The above linked company does not have any and can no longer get any.

oldmanwalt

Sorry. The above linked company does not have any and can no longer get any.
I ordered and paid for 3 floats and was assured they would be available in 3-4 weeks from the vendor. If I do get lucky and get them, I only need one and the others will be available. For now, we'll just have to wait and see.

oldmanwalt

I ordered and paid for 3 floats and was assured they would be available in 3-4 weeks from the vendor. If I do get lucky and get them, I only need one and the others will be available. For now, we'll just have to wait and see.
Update, I just got an email notice of a refund for my order. Dangit! I apologize for being no help at all fellows. My float was destroyed so I don't have any dimensions to use to try and find another that may be a close match. The carb shop is opened only monday and tuesday for calls from 9-4 (573-392-7378). If someone has specs, maybe you can give this guy a call to see if he has anything close or even a direct replacement.

Keith_J

The carb is a military version of the Zenith 13260. I have found parts kits and a brass float NOS which should work. The issue I have with mine is the float valve seat. I made one from a Viton o ring but it doesn't last with ethanol fuel.

The fix is to run 100 LL aviation gasoline but at $5 a gallon..

TNTRailways8

Currently I am trying to make adapters to use a Briggs and Stratton down draft carb of a Twin Vanguard engine the 16hp carb equates to a little lower cc than the 4a032. I have put this on my mock up engine and it ran a bit better than stock carb and is not affected by alcohol. But still need to figure linkage to utilize the governer but with out making adjustments it has alot more spunk in my Trackless train>ps adapters made of oak don't work as well as aluminium hope will.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks