• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l60e into a cucv

BIG_RED

4l60e is more-or-less an electrically controlled 700r4. GM. 4 speed. Overdrive. It's not a straight swap. That tranny is longer than your current th400 (you'll have to move EVERYTHING). And it needs a computer. Which could get complicated. I'd say a 700r4 would be much easier to use because you won't have to deal with the computer. Maybe you could put the valvebody from a 700r4 in a 4L60e and make it mechanical? Not sure on that. IMHO not worth the trouble to put electrical 4l60e into a cucv.

Anubis8472

It's all about money in terms of the computer needed for an electronic trans.
If you've got the money to spend you can find a nice stand-alone computer to run it that lets you 'customize' your shifting. Last I looked they go for around a grand.

I'm not sure if anyone makes an 'inexpensive' controller for it. You could technically wire the trans to shift via manual switches, but this would require 'inventing' your own control device. If you're that far into it, you could also make your own computer controller.

It may or may not be possible to swap out components and convert it to non-electronic, but I'm not knowledgable on such mods.

nattieleather

I believe a 4l60E can be turned into a 4L60 or 700R4. You will need to adjust where things sit. You may need an adaptor to got the the transfercase as I believe the 4L60 has a different spline count than the Th400 has so that will need to be adapted. You will need to get a TV cable to hook up the trans so it will shift. You will need a different Torque converter also. If you wanted to go to an E type transmission a 4L80E (4 speed Th400) would be a simpler swap, but again you have the electronics issue mentioned above. Though you could use a manual shift body, but then to me you might as well through a standard trans in cause your going to be shifting it anyway.

kassim503

If its a 4L60 I would just go with a 700r4, 4L80 on the other hand..

Its actually pretty easy to make them shift into gears on command, it just requires jumping the power to the two shift solenoids in certain sequences.

84cucv1ton

OK not as simple as i thought, its a 4wd one. i thought it was a better version of the 700. thats why i took it.. didnt know it was pretty much the same thing.. stand-alone computer are a lot $$$.. not to sure this is even worth it now. thanks

lnnayers

i am no expert on that swap, but there were some 6.2 trucks built with 4L80e transmissions. they had a tach drive made into the top of the vacuum pump and had a stand alone computer that maybe could be adapted. the length is likely shorter than your turbo 400. the 700r4/4l60,65,70 transmissions are based loosely on a turbo 350. the 4L80e on the turbo 400.

ODdave

You can NOT make a 4l60e a 4l60. There is no governer in a "e" like in the 700. There are other diferences but without a gov, Its imposible.

If your going to run a comp, Run a 4l80e

86k10

They do make a vacuum modulator kit for the 4l60e which is on my list of things to try out as they say. If i read it correctly, you don't need a computer if you use one. But i will have to check that out further.

nattieleather

i got the trans for free but i didnt get the wires or computer..
Well that's the good news. Your not out any money. You might want to look around at a junk yard and see if you can get the wiring and computer out of another truck. It may still be a PITA to hook up though. Also you need to check on the transfercase splines to see if you need to make an adjustment there (unless you got the T-case along with the trans).

I would contact a few transmission shops tell them what you have and what you want to do and see what they recommend.

kadetklapp

It's not going to work, and even if it did, there really is no point. Believe me when I say that 4L60E transmissions are notoriously weak.

Varyag

I agree with Kad when saying it is not worth it. It is a weak trans. If you want to go through the trouble of getting OD, the 4l80 or e is a bunch better option being that you would have to move a bunch of stuff around for both anyway and getting the actual trans is not the most expensive part.

The 4l60 is what I have in my grand am and mini van. I don't think it would do well with these trucks.