• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80e from behind a 6.2

akcucv

Okay, so i think i found a 4l80e from behind a 6.2. Has the 205 and everything. I haven't seen it yet but have been talking to the guy over emails. IF this is true and everything works out to be, what parts would i need to get from the guy. He says he's even selling the 6.2 but i don't really want it. But the thought has crossed my mind to just buy it all just in case there are some parts i forget to get. Fingers are crossed that this works out. I would really like overdrive. Any help would be apprecitated. Oh and this is for my 84 m1008.

POOR WHITE BOY

Make sure you get the shift lever , the long strut rod that goes from the side of t case up to the bell housing , if the 4l80e was behind a 6.2 try and get the computer and wiring harness to. Instrument cluster also as the speedometer is electronic - no cable. Also the front dive shaft it will be longer than a m1008 drive shaft. Good luck !

tm america

ya you will need the tps and all the sensors from the engine .computer and wiring .you can run your stock speedo depending what year the 4l80e is later set ups used a the out put speed sensor on the trans instead of the speedo you will know by the fact it has a speed senson in the rear hole not just a plug. the input and output speed sensors are the same so you know which one i'm talking about. they make a manual valve body for a 4l80e if you dont want to mess with the computer

acesneights1

Compushift makes a standalone controller which is probably the best way to go but it's pricey. As far as I knew only 700r4s or later know as 4l60e came factory behind a 6.2 but hey I havn't seen everything either. Just want to make sure your not buying a 4l60 in 4l80 clothing...:D

POOR WHITE BOY

First - let me say that i have 2 trucks with 4l80e/np205 set ups . One is a 1991 all original.all oem 4l80e models use a speed sensor . The speed sensor is in the tailshaft of the transfer case - not the transmission. The stock speedometer will not work. There is no computer on the 6.2 engine. The oem computer controls the 4l80e only. You donot need all the sensors off the engine - lol .if you could get this computer and harness that would be best.

akcucv

I pretty sure the harness and comp will come with it. The main thing i am worried about is the speedometer, what ever it uses as a TPS, and kickdown cable or what ever it has. Really all the little things that i could get from this guy and not have to go searching for after (if) i buy it. I don't want to score a deal on this then spend the money i saved on buying that stuff ya know?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, my 91 Burb has the electronic speedo too. It has a 6.2 and 700R4. Pretty sure the 4x4 V series one tons are the only trucks to get that 4L80E and 205 combo.

akcucv

Okay, so lets make a list to make this easy for me. haha, so, the tps, dipstick, ecm and harness, front driveshaft, speedometer. Will my crossmember work? I have a b&m floorshifter but i might get the shifter for the column. I would like to put a bench seat back in mine some day. Thanks for the help guys. and it is out of a V3500 1991 with a 6.2l.

POOR WHITE BOY

Turbo 400 dipstick and the 4l80e dipstick are the same. You will need the crossmember . You will also need the 4x4 shift lever from a 1991 model. The columns are the same. I would get the complete wiring harness if possible including under dash harness.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grab the whole truck, fetch what you need, part out the rest! I'm nearly certain that the thing is being parted mainly for the axles.

akcucv

no the guy claims he is installing a cummins. So the whole truck is not possible, just the drivetrain not including axles.

acesneights1

Like I said, I have not seen everything either. I'd go with the compushift if funds permit. Much simpler and more control over how it shifts from what I have heard. If I ever do it I'm going that route but I'm still on the fence with just doing a gear vendors OD. By the time you price out a reman 4l80e and a standalone you up and possibly over a Gear vendors unit.

jimmy-90

I've been wanting to do the 4L80e swap for a while too on my M1028 and only heard good things about the compushift. They say it will give your truck a whole different attitude since you can program it to shift whenever or however you want. About the manual valvebody I read a post on coloradok5 I think about someone that used one of those from PATC. He said that it wasn't streetable. He said that it would chirp the tires during up-shifts even when you weren't trying to and worst of all was that it would cause him to eat steering wheel and break the tires loose every time he DOWN-SHIFTED. Even when he wasn't down-shifting hard. As for the 1991 4L80 with the stock computer I'd probly just use it if the guy throws it in for free with the trans.

akcucv

The guy is being kind of stubborn on pics and information. I guess he is pulling it out of the vehicle this weekend and said he could get me pics on monday. Hopefully i will get it but he said he's gotten alot of calls on it and someone more than likely will offer him way more money than i've got.