• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80e in m1009 pros and cons

jdeoliveira74

4l80e pros and cons in m1009? anyone running this and can it be set up with a manual valve? I don't want to ad a computer would like to stay away from added electronics. But would like the over drive option for highway driving! Will it bolt up to transfer case?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the 3.08 gears you will be disappointed in the OD. Power will suck. Works wonders in the M1008 trucks.

With enough money you can make it happen. It won't bolt to the transfer case without the correct adapter.

They only made the non-electric control version for a very short amount of time in the early '90s. It is very hard to find and big$$$ when you do. There was one listed in the classifieds. Don't know if it is still available.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=2078

Search the web for alot of discussion on this.

Last edited:

jwaller

I just put a 80E in my hmmwv and it's the shizzz. I also have the 6.5TD. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can now cruise 70+ and all at much lower RPM and way better MPG.

nattieleather

I had a K5 with a 700R4 and 350 gas motor and I loved the OD in it. You can find a good rebuilt with all the upgrades of a 700R4 transmission and not have to deal with electronics. You will have some modifications no matter which way you go. (read that $$$)

eldgenb

A 480le will work if you get a full manual valve body, means you shift it through the gears like a manual. Yes you can do it, I would only do it if I were adding 1008 axles under it otherwise the 1009 has perfect gearing without modifying it.

Goose2448

I have a 4L80E in my burban, and after 81K, I might be getting a new one soon. Long shifts, hard shifts, and a shimmy noise. Of course this is just one of hundreds of thousands made. Its good on the highway, but I have a 327 and 3.73 gears in that with 17" rims and have gotten as high as 21 MPG at 80 MPH. But like I said its different from you. I personally dont like them. And its an electronic version of the 700R4 from what I understand, same gearing, just with a computer. If your gonna go all out, get a Allison 1000, There is a 5 speed version, and the more common 6 speed auto. They are pretty much indestructible, and they have an outside filter and drain plug!

Last edited:

jj

The 4L80e is NOT an electronic version of the 700r. The 4L80e is more of a TH-400 with an extra gear and full electronic control. Look at some aftermarket transmission company's offerings and certain hard parts are interchangeable between the two. Nothing seems to interchange between the 4L80e and the 700r.

Outlaw86er

The electronic version of the 700r4 is the 4L60E. There is also a slightly beefier version called the 4L65E, although there aren't many differences between the two.

southdave

If you do drop four speed in? consider changing the rears out.. my 1009 pull 1700 rpm @ 65-70 it need to be around 2200 at that speed.. I am swaping my 3.08 for 3.73 12 bolt setup hopfully I get better milage out of it..