• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80E no reverse when vehicle heats up

Jimbolya

I have a 1045A2 with a 4L80E transmission. All gears/shifting works great in both forward and reverse when vehicle is cold. I gradually lose reverse (it slips) when it heats up. If I let it cool, all is good again.
It does have tranny hold back when put in first and letting off the gas at 25mph. Fluid is red with no abnormal smells. I have read that some people have encountered this problem on other vehicles and a few went away
when they installed a TransGo shift kit. I haven't pulled the reverse servo or dropped the valve body and really don't want to.

Hoping to throw this out there and see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks.

Action

What is the fluid level when warmed up and shifted through all ranges and checked while the motor is running?
LIMP MODE would leave you in 2nd gear.
Have you checked for error codes?

Jimbolya

it is not in limp mode since it will shift 1-4 even with reverse slipping. Trans fluid level is in operating level when hot. Haven't heard of an accumulator being an issue with reverse. Thanks for the thought. I will research.

Wire Fox

it is not in limp mode since it will shift 1-4 even with reverse slipping. Trans fluid level is in operating level when hot. Haven't heard of an accumulator being an issue with reverse. Thanks for the thought. I will research.
Curious...did you ever find the actual culprit? I'm always wanting to know what little bugs show up in the 4L80E transmissions since I am troubleshooting a problematic one over time...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks