• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80E or 700R4

usmc81301

I am looking for peoples opinions on which transmission is better and why they think so. I have been doing research on gearing and so forth. I would just like to know from people who have used them. I am planning on changing soon to be nicer to my 6.5LTD. Thanks.

DieselBob

My 2cents, I would go with the 4L80. They are made to handle the high torque of BB trailer pullers. As with any slush box there are 3 things to remember. Cooling, cooling and cooling. On the flip side I did had a V1500 Jimmy with a 700R4 that went 350K+ miles with no problem.

tanhmmwv

i have the 700R4 behind a 6.5 NA motor. in the final stages of a complete restoration. Will let you know how it is once driven for a little while.

bigflew

4l80 is definetly stronger and more dependable. the early 700r4s were a bad deal but gotbetter with time. if you are having one built tell the builder what you are doing with it they are built a little diffrent for diesels (mostly valving) also a used one should be set up for diesel.
one more thing the E in 4l80e is for electronic controll and are controller by the ecm and would npt work in somthing not desinged for it. but you can get a non electronic 4l80
Thats my 2 cents worth.

PackRatWrecker

If you get a stand alone ECM & harness, think the 4L80E is a better choice.

If you want to stay mechanical, get a pro-built 700R4, & have the internal switches wired to automatically lock up in 3rd & 4th. If you use a 1-wire lockup solenoid & a TH400 kickdown plug, then all you need is a fused ignition power wire.

mudguppy

the 700R4 is also called the 4L60, just without the 'E' part. and since the 4L80E is the bigger brother to the 4L60 family, it should be a no-brainer as to which transmission would be stronger.

DicedDeuceMan

The 3 series will work nicer IF, you don't pull any trailer. you won't have to hook up computer.

If you plan on pulling a trailer, spend the extra money.

usmc81301

Thanks for all the info gents. Can I put in the 4L80E and not change the transfer case? I know the drive shafts have to be shorter. I have the original transfer case.

Last edited:

usmc81301

The 4L80E is a 32 count spline. The 3L80 is the same i believe. Has any one changed the transmission and not the transfer case or would it be recommended to change the transfer case also. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do this right.

ODdave

4l80 is definetly stronger and more dependable. the early 700r4s were a bad deal but gotbetter with time. if you are having one built tell the builder what you are doing with it they are built a little diffrent for diesels (mostly valving) also a used one should be set up for diesel.
one more thing the E in 4l80e is for electronic controll and are controller by the ecm and would npt work in somthing not desinged for it. but you can get a non electronic 4l80
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Um, 4l80 mechanical shift, never heard of it. If you have one I will buy it.

woopyass

Okay, so the 4l80e is going to be a better choice, and the standalone ecm's are awfully thrifty right now. Advanced adapters can adapt any GM OD Auto to pretty much any transfer case you can think of. You'll be pissed off at the 700R4 in no time flat. No matter how cool you keep them, they just eventually find a place in the pile of 700r4's behind the garage. The cool thing about the 4l80 is you can get virtually indestructable sprags and the big 32 spline output is really the only way I'd ever go, especially if you're going to upgrade to a 205 transfer case, or the venerable Lowmax 3:1. There are tons of articles detailing 4l80e swaps in trucks. And for the record, the Compushift is the best unit ever built, and you can unplug it and run it in any truck/car you have with a 4l80e. Its really nice to have your transmission pulling braking duty downhills, and you also have a temp sensor bung that can be drilled if its not already. Good stuff. You'll go through far more money playing with 700R4's, hence the 4l80 in my m1008 and the th400 behind my 454, lol.

usmc320

As woopyass said, they do make a manual valve body for the 4L80E. This means you will have to manually shift the gears all the time OR you can get a controller for it, so it can be electronically controlled (more expensive than the MVB). I would go with the 4L80E definitely. I swapped one into my car to get rid of the pathetically weak 4L60E a few years ago. It will handle 500+ rwhp easily in stock form and more if upgraded, so I'm sure it would work well in the HMMWV. Good luck with everything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like properly built 700R4 trannys but considering the weight of the HMMWV, I'd certainly go to the 4L80E. Once done and tuned, you will never regret it.