• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4l80E transmission swap

Does anyone know if a early 4l80E 6 bolt torque converter will bolt to a j code 6.2 flywheel, I’m aware of everything else I need to make it shift correctly behind a mechanical diesel, but unsure about the linkages, any info, maybe one from a 1991 sqaurebody?

Barrman

I bolted a 1994 4L80E to the stock flex plate on one of my trucks. I remember at the time I was doing this the main thing was diesel torque convert to diesel 6.2 or 6.5 flex plate.

You will need to swap out the internal wiring harness on a 1991 4L80E to the 1994 and newer plug for any aftermarket controller to plug in. I suggest no matter the year of the transmission swapping that plug and harness out for a new one. The seal in the plug dries out and will let ATF get into the electrical side of things with age. A new harness is less than $100 so it is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

I b
I bolted a 1994 4L80E to the stock flex plate on one of my trucks. I remember at the time I was doing this the main thing was diesel torque convert to diesel 6.2 or 6.5 flex plate.

You will need to swap out the internal wiring harness on a 1991 4L80E to the 1994 and newer plug for any aftermarket controller to plug in. I suggest no matter the year of the transmission swapping that plug and harness out for a new one. The seal in the plug dries out and will let ATF get into the electrical side of things with age. A new harness is less than $100 so it is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
I bought a new re-man 1996 4l80E so it should have the correct wiring harness. But main question and area of grayness for me is, the torque converter to flex plate & gear selector linkages I’m gonna convert the linkage to a cable shift. (Should work?) & the converter I was wondering if a 6 bolt converter would bolt to the stock flex plate of my 85 6.2. Just curious on the bolt patterns thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks