• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4L80E Version Differences

Wire Fox

So I've already pulled together most of the major, big dollar components I need for my 4L80E Install (I'm not exactly calling it a swap, since my M998A1 doesn't have any transmission...); however, I'm still missing the most important component of them all: the transmission. I've been reading into this one pretty solidly for a couple weeks now and I know that there are different variations of the 4L80E, depending on its intended usage; however, I haven't been able to nail down what these difference are for sure and what is compatible.

The obvious difference I'm aware of is that there is a 2WD and 4WD version, which is a different output shaft. As well, I know the torque converter I install must be the proper high torque/low stall converter. What I'm unsure of is if there's actually anything beyond that between a military trans and a standard 4WD trans, be it a difference in location of coolant tubes or different wiring harnesses. All of the HMMWV take-out transmissions I've seen have the "9KYP" model sticker applied to them whereas others I've seen will show varied, different numbers.

As it is, I'm sticking as close to military configuration as I can, largely due to the maintenance convenience of being able to accurately reference a TM for a parts list, troubleshooting, and not needing to custom bend or machine parts to make it compatible. I've got a 6.5 NA and I've got a the proper TCM on the way now. My plan is to splice into the stock harness and add all of the appropriate sensors, relays, and circuit breakers (not afraid of a soldering iron, crimp tool, and wiring diagrame)-greatly made possible by the several great guides that are out there. Anyone have any know-how on this subject?

BLK HMMWV

Not really sure if you have looked at the main body wiring harness. But splicing into it won't help much you will need to add to it.
Just bite the bullet and replace the main body wiring harness it will be easier on you in the long run.

Wire Fox

Not really sure if you have looked at the main body wiring harness. But splicing into it won't help much you will need to add to it.
Just bite the bullet and replace the main body wiring harness it will be easier on you in the long run.
Wrong use of terminology on my end. I didn't mean splicing in [what is probably the more accurate use of the word] the sense of just putting some sort of taps/splices to individual wires, but I mean that I intend to run new wires and connectors parallel to the existing harness where necessary for the new components. I'm pretty confident that I can make the new wire runs and bundle them into properly shrouded cables. The wire itself is dirt cheap and the standard connectors are pretty affordable as well-the A2 harness isn't. Regardless, if I fail at it, that just means I'll be waiting an extra couple months to save up for an A2 wiring harness. My bigger worry is if I have to buy one of the 4L80Es specific for the HMMWV platform, or if I can just buy a typical 4WD trans for 1/4 of the price and just take a week or two to carefully rebuild it.

BLK HMMWV

I'm probably the wrong person to answer your questions.
I suggest that you ask Retired War Horse or TEDG on the forum about specific platforms as you call them.
Both restore and build them from the frame off restorations.

What you will probably find on this forum are people that are more interested in keeping the vehicles true to spec more so then Bubbafied .
I'm not trying to spoil your fun or ruin your excitement of owning a HMMWV.
At some point you will want to sell your HMMWV along with all the other new owners of HMMWV's from recent auctions.
They are maintenance intensive. If you can be your own wrench your bank account won't take as big of a hit as fast.
It's going to take a hit , how much of one and over how long a period of time is the question.

Just a few questions to ask yourself.

Did you buy it to sell it or just have fun with.
If you bought it for fun it's a toy .
Drive it like you stole it and it doesn't matter what you do to it it's yours .

If you ever plan on selling it and even remotely getting any of the money back out of it then I'd say put the 4L80E that's specifically made for it.
Why take a chance? Don't get me wrong everything eventually breaks. But if you put something as critical as a trans in and it you re make or modify a typical 4wd trans as you call it for a 1/4 of the price and it doesn't stand up or last you just wasted 1/4 of the price of the correct trans. and all your time to rebuild, install, remove, purchase new or rebuilt and reinstall.
The closer it is to spec mechanically and the more you stick to A2 upgrades the easier it will be to sell.

It's got to be hard to spend money on something you haven't even driven yet.
I know you want to get it together and running so you can enjoy it.
Nothing sucks more then having to go back and fix something right after you installed it.

Have fun with your project.

Wire Fox

I'm probably the wrong person to answer your questions.
I suggest that you ask Retired War Horse or TEDG on the forum about specific platforms as you call them.
Both restore and build them from the frame off restorations.

What you will probably find on this forum are people that are more interested in keeping the vehicles true to spec more so then Bubbafied .
I'm not trying to spoil your fun or ruin your excitement of owning a HMMWV.
At some point you will want to sell your HMMWV along with all the other new owners of HMMWV's from recent auctions.
They are maintenance intensive. If you can be your own wrench your bank account won't take as big of a hit as fast.
It's going to take a hit , how much of one and over how long a period of time is the question.

Just a few questions to ask yourself.

Did you buy it to sell it or just have fun with.
If you bought it for fun it's a toy .
Drive it like you stole it and it doesn't matter what you do to it it's yours .

If you ever plan on selling it and even remotely getting any of the money back out of it then I'd say put the 4L80E that's specifically made for it.
Why take a chance? Don't get me wrong everything eventually breaks. But if you put something as critical as a trans in and it you re make or modify a typical 4wd trans as you call it for a 1/4 of the price and it doesn't stand up or last you just wasted 1/4 of the price of the correct trans. and all your time to rebuild, install, remove, purchase new or rebuilt and reinstall.
The closer it is to spec mechanically and the more you stick to A2 upgrades the easier it will be to sell.

It's got to be hard to spend money on something you haven't even driven yet.
I know you want to get it together and running so you can enjoy it.
Nothing sucks more then having to go back and fix something right after you installed it.

Have fun with your project.
Exactly why I'm on here asking what the differences are. I want to keep it pretty close to spec, but I also acknowledge that this is going to be both for fun and as a utility vehicle for me that I'm going to use, things will break, and I'll have to repair it back up to good, working order. So yeah, if I can spend 1/4 of the price on a transmission that's 99% the same as the proper one and just rebuild it to be the same in every way except the number on its tag, I'd call that being savvy and frugal; however, if it's significantly different and not feasible to change it over, you're absolutely right and I'd just sc be better off buying the military package. Just haven't found somebody that knows for sure what the differences are yet... I'll try talking with those two to see if they know anything about them, but I hope to share everything I can find out on here, that way the next guy can search and find the answer here.

I'm still trying to find this information again, but I had read somewhere that the HMMWV trans should be most similar to the models that would have been delivered for motor homes, due to upgraded weight and cooling capability that would be useful for a 1 1/4 ton truck crawling around through the woods, except the HMMWV obviously has a 4WD output shaft instead of the 2WD the motor homes would have.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I here its has RV trans specs, and you need a Diesel torque converter, and also there is a early, and late style....early has the cooling connections together like the 3L80.
The better is the late with cooling fittings far apart.
The trans pans are different also.

Carrera911

I don't see why a 90s pull out of a 3500 with the 6.5 NA or 6.5 TD 4x4 wouldn't work. The valving and torque converter should be the same. Only difference would probably be the pan. With the pathetic power that these engines make and the fact most people will never exceed 6000 pounds gross, then I think it'll be fine. I don't know about compatibility with the military tcm but a universal tcm would probably be cheaper and would offer more programming if you desire. I feel the same way as you about practicality over originality. I would love a Cummins Humvee if I ever got around to doing one.

Wire Fox

I've been looking at these so long and prodding at them since I started this topic, so I thought I'd add in what I've learned. I'll summarize what I know about the 9KYP spec:
  • Late-style cooling loop
  • Late-style wiring harness
  • 6.2/6.5L diesel-configured torque converter
  • Both front and rear tone rings installed (so you can have two speed sensors on the transmission, most 4L80Es will only have one and rely on a T/C speed sensor for the rear)
  • 4WD-length output shaft
  • Short-style shift lever (most 4L80Es have a long lever that's meant to pass through a large neutral safety switch-the HMMWV linkages won't line up and will bind if you try to use it)
  • Standard size transmission pan with drain plug
  • MIGHT be built a bit heavier in its friction materials, but I have not been able to verify this.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at these so long and prodding at them since I started this topic, so I thought I'd add in what I've learned. I'll summarize what I know about the 9KYP spec:
  • Both front and rear tone rings installed (so you can have two speed sensors on the transmission, most 4L80Es will only have one and rely on a T/C speed sensor for the rear)
  • Short-style shift lever (most 4L80Es have a long lever that's meant to pass through a large neutral safety switch-the HMMWV linkages won't line up and will bind if you try to use it)
  • MIGHT be built a bit heavier in its friction materials, but I have not been able to verify this.
Wowser.... 4 year old resurrected thread🙌🏻
😆.. love the passion 👊🏼👍🏼

redneck610

Where did you get the info on the 9KYP? Mine is a 4KYP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks