• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4th Gear Issue?

maxspeed3

Hey everyone,

So yesterday I was out cruising in the deuce for some 4th of July fun. Yesterday the weather where I'm located in Minnesota was about 98 degrees and the heat index was 108. I was hauling some water in the bed of the truck as well. (everything seems okay at this point) As i was driving I hit a few red lights. and after a couple of lights when I got the truck up to a high enough speed (30ish MPH) to shift into 4th gear it seemed to really bog down but the rpms were staying up (2000-2200k)...The truck shifted fine into 4th and 5th gears, but it seemed like it wasn't putting the power down to the road......I would sit on the gas it it just held the rpms......

And on my way home it seemed to be doing the same thing (the temp dropped a little bit by then)........I'm thinking that it was just so **** hot outside yesterday that the truck was just heat soaked and wasn't able to keep up.

Anybody have any ideas?????

91W350

Nope, should slip progressively worse as the gears go up. The engine is pulling a heavier load. It takes less power to drive the wheels in 1st than it does 5th.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh maybe 30-40 gallons not too much. The thing is I didn't have any water in the truck on the ride home.

Wouldn't clutch slip in every gear though if it was the clutch?
NO, more loading on the higher gears due to the gear reduction in the trans.

EDIT-I type SOOOOOOOOOO slow, how about guys pm me your question BEFORE you post so I can get a head start on typing my answer

Last edited:

91W350

NO, more loading on the higher gears due to the gear reduction in the trans.

EDIT-I type SOOOOOOOOOO slow, how about guys pm me your question BEFORE you post so I can get a head start on typing my answer
:)

Ron, You do a great job of making my posts clearer...

maxspeed3

Well guys,

I found out what is wrong with the truck. Your correct with it being the clutch, it's glazed over really bad. Also the pressure plate was hanging on by 1 bolt yes only 1.......I'm surprised it didn't rip itself appart. It goes to show how tough these trucks are...

I'll put some more photos of the clutch, flywheel etc.

But for now I'm going to need a new clutch, pressure plate, possible throw out bearing and resurface the flywheel.

It's a pain in the a** to drop the trani out of the way using a 2 ton hoist etc etc