• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4th of July

ironhorsethegeneral

:tongue: Just wanted to let everyone know that we had a good time at the Stone Mountain, Georgia parade Monday. The only problem we encountered was a low flying tree limb that broke one of our hoops. (It looks fixable). But all in all it was a good day. Besides us there were 3 jeeps, a motorcycle w/side car (ww2 bmw) and a M37 w/trailer. Hope you all also had a good day. [thumbzup] <EMBED pluginspage=www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash src=undefined width=undefined height=undefined type=application/x-shockwave-flash bgcolor="undefined" loop="undefined" quality="undefined"><EMBED pluginspage=www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash src=undefined width=undefined height=undefined type=application/x-shockwave-flash bgcolor="undefined" loop="undefined" quality="undefined">

rdixiemiller

I had 1 of the 2 MV's in the Carrollton parade. The other was a WW2 Jeep that looked terrific. I got a whole lot of waves, and the flag flying from the rear of the troop seats got plenty of salutes from the veterans along the route. I had my 78 yr old father-in-law in the cab with me (Army, 1947-1955, construction battalion). He was telling me the ins and outs of all the old trucks he drove in the service. His favorite was a CCKW dumper when he was in Japan. His least favorite? The 7 ton Diamond T dumper. "Piece of sh--!" Front springs broke as often as we could replace them!
Pop is tough, he drove a D-6 Cat 60 some odd miles during the retreat from the Yalu river. He had 7 drums of fuel chained off to the blade and refueled with a hand pump as he ran low on fuel. Dozers were hard to come by, that is why they did not abandon them. Froze a few toes on that trip. Drove 30 hours straight, along with the rest of his battalion.

SixBuy

We made the parade in Dallas (Lakewood) and had a ton of fun. The deuce gets cheers above 1800 RPM! Let's see if I can get a pix up.

[/img]

SixBuy

Damned if you don't have good eyes... Actually, that is a red one with five (5) of the best looking Andrews Sisters look alikes you never saw. While our crew was tossing candy to the kids, the dirty old man was hanging over the tailgate tossing candy to the girls... LOL

This could be habit formiing!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, this blows chunks. I love parades, especially 4th of July parades but I have to work during every darned one. When I walk away in 3 years, I'm going on the parade circuit!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sixbuy said: " The deuce gets cheers above 1800 RPM!"

The whistler does bring up memories, no doubt about it. (Mine doesn't..whistle , that is) sort of like the turboprops on the old C-130, never forget that sound...

There aren't any parades in our neck of the woods, just fireworks here and there. Our entire county only has a population of 15,000.

SixBuy

Mine is a -1D so the whistle is barely audible. I think it's the throaty roar they like.

So start a parade! The Dallas Lakewood parade started with a couple of kids on bikes/trikes and has grown to a couple of hundred entries ( I was #20 and an M37 was #180)! They will come with the kids.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put DCRAB'S 109 on display at the freedom festivel in Houston. And he forgot the camera 3 days in a row! We had a M60 tank, M113 APC, M54 , HUMMV, M151, 2 cucv's and a MB. They put the U.S. AMRY across from us and the only thing they brought was a chevy dually with a trailer.

rdixiemiller

The rebuild depots are planning to be really busy. MCLB Albany is adding capacity. Most of the Marine's equipment will need an overhaul after a couple of years in the desert. Tracked vehicles get hit really hard by the sand.

Monster Man

I had a great time in our 4th parade here. I hauled the Veteran's Guest house people, and got cheered by many hundreds of onlookers. Very cool.

Sorry, no pics, my camera batteries died :cry:

Loose Deuce

I didn't get to make a 4th July parade but I did make the last Memorial Day parade, I cant remember if I posted any photos or not? :confused:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks